Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Accessing old hard drive from new?

Hi, I'm about to upgrade to a 1TB hard drive, when I install windows on it, but have my other hard drive still attached, can I access the files on my old hard drive from my new one? As in i won't have to transfer all my data to my external, then transfer it from there to my new hard drive.

Secondly, once i get my computer running on my new hard drive, will I be able to format my old one and use it as sort of a secondary storage? use it as if it were just another external?

thanks

Favorite Answer

When I upgraded my computers hard drive I used a external enclosure for the new one and used Acronis to clone my drive onto it, then I swapped them with no problems and ended up reformatting my old one and used it as storage :P

• Amber

You should be able to make the old hard drive over to the new computer without any conflict. The way computer's work, they only look at one device at a time when booting. If the computer sees the Vista drive first, it will never even look at the XP drive during the boot up, and there will be no conflict. In a computer, you can have two devices attached to each IDE cable. Normally your hard drive will be on one cable, and your CD/DVD drive on the other. Recommend that you add the old hard drive as a second device on the CD/DVD cable, not on the same cable as the current hard drive. This eliminates any possibility that the two devices will conflict with each other. Once booted, you should see the old drive as a different "letter". You can then drag and drop anything you want from the old drive to the new. Once you have anything, you have the option of then formatting the old drive and then continuing to use it as a backup drive on the new computer. (If you plan to continue to use the drive, you will want to format it to get Windows off it. Why waste have the space with a program that you are not running?)

Hi there,

You should have no problem using the new drive for primary and the old one as secondary drive.

Just be sure you have the correct cables (data and power either SATA or IDE)

However why not just install your new large drive for a data and backup drive?

There is no advantage to having the large drive for the operating system besides whenever you defrag it will take much longer to defrag (or scan ) the 1 terabyte drive.

The 1 terabyte drive is plenty large enough to hold an image of the smaller drive using a utility like Bounce Back, Acronius Tru Image or Norton Ghost. Then whenever there is a problem with the operating system all you need to do is restore the disk image using the software.

Easus has a free disk copy application thet will copy your operating system to the backup drive and it allows restoring whenever there is a system crash.

Anyway that's another option,

Al

Source(s): http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/ for Easus Disk Copy free download

You can access your old drive from your new one via windows explorer (My Computer). Instead of C:/ it will appear as D:/ or some other letter. Once you move the files from the old to the new, you can format the old one.

I have a 1TB drive and did the same thing. It works flawlessly.

Source(s): Personal Experience

The HD will act just like a jumpdrive, only difference you will need either an IDE cable or a SATA cable to access it.

You can format it just fine but will still have the petitions on it so you wont get the full storage space,you can google and download a petition manager to take care of those though.

absolutely possible

Reminder: unplug all the older drives before install windows or any other OS into the new drive. (in case of accidentally format the old drives) then plug it in again and you could access it as normal. Go to my computer and you could see the old drives.

yes, install your new hard drive as primary master and the old one as slave. format and install an OS to new hdd. all files in the old hdd is accessible, after you transfer all your files right click your old hdd and format it.