What are fish and chips?

Are they fries and something else?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • George
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Fish and Chips", a popular take-away food that originated in the United Kingdom.

It's basically, fish (cod, haddock or flounder) in batter or breadcrumbs, severed with chips (fries) that are normally cooked deep fried.

Then seasoned with salt and vinegar.

Source(s): I'm British. More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

French Fries And Fish.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fish and French Fries.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes chips are know as fries.. & they are not your slim looking fries either but tasty rustic/big looking ones with something else which is the Fish (a good sized fillet of it) fried in a batter till crisp!! Good with both salt & vinegar!

*YUM*

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Chips are another english word to say french fries, here in Australia we call french fries, chips.

• 1 decade ago

they are battered and deep fried fish, usually cod, and french fries, formerly rolled up in a sheet of newspaper, when I had them in London the one time I ordered them there. They were delicious, though the newspaper thing might be against health codes by now..also, you sprinkle vinegar on the fish before you eat them...they are great!

Source(s): pass the salt!
  • 1 decade ago

Battered/breaded fish with fries.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is fish ' you usually get in Icelands (the shop in England) ' and chips 'fries'

• 1 decade ago

Yeah they're fries with fish and its like a takeaway meal in the uk

they're mostly found by our seasides ;)

personally i like to have chips with sausage and batter...yummy!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fish and chips "consists of deep-fried fish (traditionally cod, haddock or flounder) in batter or breadcrumbs with deep-fried chipped (slab-cut) potatoes." from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.