I need help with a title of a book. It's an older book, maybe mid to late 70's or early 80's?

I can't remember the name of the book, or any of the characters' names, but the two main characters were in their early teens, and one was an inventor. I remember him making a newspaper throwing machine onto his bicycle, and the two characters calling each other "Old Man" and "Old Bean" as if trying to make themselves sound older. Also had something to do with an old house. I'm sorry I can't give much more information but any help would be appreciated

• P3
    Favorite Answer

It's one of the "Alvin Fernald" books by Clifford B. Hicks. Alvin and his friend Shoie call each other "old man" and "old bean". I can't remember which one had a newspaper throwing machine, though. I'll keep searching and edit if I find it.

Found it--"The Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald"

Whenever Alvin's Magnificent Brain kicks into action, it's time to watch out! For Alvin is always thinking up another marvelous invention. Maybe it's the Foolproof Burglar Alarm for his bedroom door, or a Sure Shot Paper Slinger for delivering newspapers from his bike. But there's no doubt about it, as his sister the Pest says, "Alvin is a genius!" With his best friend Wilfred Shoemaker (Shoie for short) and the Pest, who always tags along, there is never a dull moment as Alvin unfolds the most brilliant plan of his career to solve the mystery surrounding the old Huntley place.

http://books.google.com/books?id=paSmAAAACAAJ&dq=a...

Be sure to check out the other books in the series, too!

It s called "The Marvellous Inventions of Alvin Fernald" by Clifford B. Hicks.

Alvin had the newspaper throwing machine.

Try Huckleberry Fin.