Lil Bee asked in TravelCanadaToronto · 1 decade ago

Do I have to pay a Boston parking ticket if I'm from Toronto?

I drove to Boston last weekend and parked on a street in Somerville that had no clear parking rules, and ended up with a $50 ticket. What will happen if I don't pay it? I'm from Toronto, Ontario, Canada and my car is registered here, and I probably won't be in Somerville again anytime soon.

• SteveN
    Favorite Answer

Boston parking infractions are the responsibility of Office of the Parking Clerk. What happens is that if you don't pay the fine, they send you a reminder ticket, with a $5 fee added. If you still don't pay, for Massachusetts vehicles, they will send a letter to the Mass. Registry of Motor Vehicles for "renewal denial". That means the person cannot get their plates/registration renewed until they resolve the fine and obtain a proof of resolve form.

Now because you are from out of state (in fact out of country), it is possible that nothing will happen unless you somehow end up back in Boston, or the state of Massachusetts.

But I believe more than likely, one of the following may occur:

1) The city of Boston will send a letter of complaint regarding outstanding fine(s) to the Ministry of Transport of Ontario. The MTO has a service known as "Plate Denial" which they use for certain infractions (like driving on the 407 without paying the tolls). It is possible that a fine in Massachusetts could cause you to not be able to renew your plates in Ontario in that case.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/vehicle.shtml...

2) The city of Boston could issue an alert to US Border Protection agency about your vehicle (and its owner). Then, the next time you try to cross the border into USA, warning bells go off and lights flash in the border agent booth, and he tells you that you've been denied admission to USA. He may not tell you why, and then you have to figure it out by spending weeks on the phone and sending letters to various agencies trying to get the issue resolved.

If I were you, I would ask myself these questions:

Was I at fault? Based on what you said about unclear parking rules, you can submit your ticket with a NOT GUILTY plea and try to contest/appeal it. Hope you took pictures of the signage and the area to support your claim. The way it works in Boston is that if you make a valid case in the mailed-in appeal, they may dismiss the ticket. If they disagree, they will schedule you for a court date and then you would have the choice of just pleading guilty, or actually showing up to appeal it...(by the way, 60% of appealed tickets actually get dismissed in Boston).

If I honestly did not read the sign(s) right and I was in the wrong, I would just pay the ticket, for peace of mind even if I didn't like it.

And if you want to fight it, you can always try a service like the one below. They offer to fight a ticket for you. If they get the ticket dismissed, you pay them half the cost of the ticket ($25 in this case). If they can't get it dismissed, you pay nothing.

http://www.parkingticket.com/about/press/coverage/...

• reust

Pay Parking Ticket Boston

• laskey

Pay Boston Parking Ticket

Boston is a quintessential mixture of colonial record and cutting-edge innovation. From the wonderful cobblestones of Beacon Hill and progressive landmarks of the Freedom Trail, to the well-known grounds of Harvard University and Fenway Park, Boston is a prize chest of Americana and with hotelbye you may have the chance to know this treasure. Boston is famous it while the "support of liberty" and Faneuil Hall is among the areas must-see just as the adjoining Faneuil Hall Marketplace, a place which includes three extended halls: Quincy Market, North Industry, and South Market. , Faneuil Hall Marketplace is relationship from the early 19th century and has become entertained by a lively range of stores, restaurants, and exhibitions. In excellent weather, you will find street performers and buskers wearing reveals in the square across the market.

you should because it's the right thing to do and to avoid future possible hassles... like if you get pulled over in Mass. for whatever reason. Thank computers for that! Bottom line: it can come back to haunt you.

p.s. Many, many, Americans ignore thei tickets from Canada. Future improvements may make this an unwise thing to do. (some bylaw officiers dont write tickets to Americans because it is such a common thing.) I am not anti American. In southern Ontario tis is a fact.

Yes, you should pay the fine. If you don't, it will go on your credit report. The next time you apply for a credit card or bank loan or mortgage, you could be denied because of that one small fine. Pay it now. It's not worth the trouble you'll have in the future, if you don't pay it.

• I don't think they'd chase you down, but you could be facing fines next time you go the United States, or even be denied entry.

Yes you do. How would you like it if someone from the US tried pulling that stunt in Toronto?

I am pretty sure you do.

i think so but im not 100% sure