Why are Nuclear weapons good for us?

I have this assignment I'm having trouble with it. We have a formal debate about Nuclear weapons and warfare. I'm arguing on the pro-nuclear weapons side. My arguments is about the political Equities of Nuclear weapons between nations. I have to write Informal argumentative essay on the argument with at least 2-3 supporting points to this argument.

This a very hard argument and I can use all the help I can get. Any ideas??

PLEASE HELP

• DBM
    Favorite Answer

I'm not pro-nuclear weapons myself, but some arguments in their favor might include:

- If we have nuclear weapons, nobody can attack us because they would never risk the retaliation. (nuclear deterrence)

- If only one country has nuclear weapons (or the ability to defend itself from a nuclear attack) then that country could force others not to fight by threatening a nuclear attack. (nuclear hegemony)

- If all countries have nuclear weapons, nobody will attack anyone else because they couldn't risk a nuclear counterattack. (Mutually Assured Destruction)

- If we have nuclear weapons, and other countries believe we are willing to use them, they'll be more likely to try to negotiate disputes than engage in armed conflicts (Madman Theory)

- Nuclear weapons have driven technological development in other areas such as rocketry, nuclear power, satellite technology, aerospace engineering.

- If we eliminate our nuclear weapons, and a 'rogue' state or organization develops them we risk leaving ourselves defenseless.

-

A country having nuclear weapons deters another nation from using their nuclear weapons against the first country.

Nuclear weapons keep b!tches like North Korea and Cuba in line.

Source(s): God Bless America!

There not

1.) Nukes and A-bombs are against the rules of war

2.) Its a cowards way out

3.) The radiation generating from the nuke would pollute the land and water it hit and give inocent people disease such as cancer for generations to come

4.) Thousands of innocent men, women, and children would die.

Try re-thinking what team you want to be on.

They give us superpowers!

But really, I disagree with you. Being able to destroy the world several times over doesn't make any nation powerful, it just brings us closer to the end of all life as we know it.

They give any nation that has them more respect from countries such as the US and Russia.

One point: other countries have nuclear weapons, if they unleash them on us, we wish to do it on them.

One point: they are also used for defense. If we located a terror cell i would want to use them on it.

One point: to show we arent babies. (reword it) we want to prove that we dont want to start a war, but we want other countries to take us seriously

because they help fight the ninjas