what's the difference between an airplane and rocket?

i really neeed THIS BECUASE IF I DONT GET THE ANSWER IM GOING TO BE SWALLOWED WHLE FROM MY TEACHER

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A rocket uses thrust for 100% for forward momentum and lift. No wings are required. They carry their own oxidizer to burn the fuel for energy.

An airplane uses thrust for forward momentum. The forward momentum is used by the wings to create lift to remain airborne. They use the available air as the oxidizer to burn fuel for energy.

However, rocket engines have been used on airplanes to create forward momentum, which, in turn is used by the wings to create lift.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The main difference between the two types of engine is that a rocket carries its own supply of oxygen for combustion. A jet engine requires oxygen from the atmosphere for combustion, and so cannot operate in the vacuum of space.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Airplanes travel around the world, whereas a rocket travels beyond the world, into space.

Rockets can only fly in one direction and then stop, the astronauts dont stay with it

• 1 decade ago

A rocket is propelled upwards with thrusters. An airplane uses wings and speed to gain lift and fly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Iby K
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

depends on context:

the engine of course since airplanes have propeler or jet engines, rocket has rocket engine.

the lift is created differently.

the wingspan

the number of passengers (rarely any passengers on rockets and even then very few).

the power to weight ratio

and 1000000 other things

• mister
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The engine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.