Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 decade ago

Are there any unions or federations for geologists?

???

Favorite Answer

The principal Organizations in the US:

American Geophysical Union (50,000) for Geophysicists - mostly "hard rock" and academics and students. (AGU)

Geological Association of America (22,000) for Geologists - mostly "hard rock" and academics and students. (GSA)

American Association of Petroleum Geologists (30,106) for Geologists and Geophysicists - mostly "soft rock", many with dual membership to GSA/AGU are academics, generally petroleum and sedimentological studies. (AAPG)

Society of Exploration Geophysicists (29,213) for Geophysicists and academics. (SEG)

In Canada:

Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists (3,100) for Geologists and some Geophysicists (CSPG)

Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (2,100) for Geophysicists. (CSEG)

These are the best numbers I could dig up from 2007.

There are offshoots and affiliated organizations but to list them would take pages and many of their Membership are redundant to the principal organizations.

There are no "unions" that would violate the Professional standing of the Membership. Only teachers get away with that little trick!

Most Earth Scientists belong to various Licensing bodies and Professional Regulating bodies. Mine doesn't technically permit me to use my professional designation in such places as this forum....so I don't!

American Institute of Professional Geologists

American Association of Petroleum Geologists

Geological Society of Nevada

Geological Association of Canada

my understanding of the EU seems to be more of a confederation then a federation that is it is a union of sovereign nations (confederate) not a federal system of shared power with a supreme federal authority. yes in the future countries can fall apart into smaller territories it has happened throughout history