Can I play Play Station and PS2 games on a PS3?

I want a PS3 but i love alot of my ps2 and ps games...can i still play them?

• Jenova
    Favorite Answer

backward compatibility for the PS3 with PS2 games is as follows on NTSC systems:

20GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

60GB (4 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - YES

80GB with 4 USB slots (fat, no longer in production, bundled with MGS4 or Motor Storm) - YES

40GB (2 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - NO

80GB with 2 USB slots (fat, no longer in production) - NO

160GB (2 USB slots, fat, no longer in production) - NO

120GB/slim (2 USB slots) - NO

250GB/slim (2 USB slots) - NO

any other up coming PS3's - NO

PAL systems only have one backwards compatible system, and that's the 60GB.

THAT'S 4 SYSTEMS THAT ARE IN FACT COMPATIBLE WITH PS2 GAMES!!! NOT 1 SYSTEM, NOT 2, 4!!!

in short: if it has 4 USB slots, yes. if it has 2 USB slots, no.

and as you can see, there are 3 systems that are fat, but can NOT play PS2 games. just because the system is fat does NOT mean it can play PS2 games.

all PS3s play PS1 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Model_c...

the download that others are referring to is for the PS3s that already are backwards compatible. downloading it to a non-backwards compatible PS3 will do NOTHING but take up space on your hard drive! it will NOT make your PS3 play PS2 games!!!

"If a PLAYSTATION 3 is not backward compatible, you will not be able to add this function through any hardware (i.e., changing the hard disk drive) or software (i.e., updates, homebrew) upgrades or modifications. "

that came DIRECTLY from Sony's own website: http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstatio...

and no, not all PS2 games or PS1 games will work. the 20GB and 60GB come the closest to being fully backwards compatible with PS2 games, but they still do not play 100% of those games or PS1 games. if you buy a backwards compatible PS3 and want to know which of your PS2 games work, check this link: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleSt...

I dare anyone to steal my answer again. this is MY answer. I took the time to type this all up. yes, every time someone asks this question, I do copy and paste. but I'm copying MY work, MY answer.

I also have a 40 gig, and that i havent tried all of my PS2 video games on it, yet none have worked so a techniques, and as a techniques with the aid of fact the different ones of better gigabytes, you could google for a PS3 compatiblity checklist or something. i dont think of it its rather well worth the money paying for a extra high priced device in simple terms given which you're too lazy to alter some cords around to plug the PS2 returned in (assuming you have one). Your call although.

Generally you can't play any PS2 games on PS3 unless they are specified. Some popular games like Halo or something are playable on both consoles, but first of it should say so. There are several ways to play PS2 games on PS3. The two ways that I know are by modding your PS3 or Converting. I cannot tell you how to mod your PS3 since it's against "Yahoo Answer" Rules. I will tell you how to convert it. First you place the disk on to your computer drag the files on to a folder. Then lastly Drag those files under the Games menu in Your PS3. The PS2 games that you want to play have to fairly new. By that I mean that you can't play the first ever games created for PS2 on your PS3 by my method. Good Luck! I hope this helped.

You can play PSX games on the PS3.

To play PS2 games on a PS3, you need to find a PS3 that has 4 USB in the front. If it only has 2, then you can't play PS2 games.

Or you could just play PS2 games on your PS2, and PS3 games on your PS3.

If you got an older PS3 you can. If you got a newer fat or the slim, these will not play PS2 games. I got the PS3 when it came out in 2007 and it still runs great. I'm not upgrading due to losing Linux but 3.30 should still support PS2 games. As of 3.15 (my PS3 is running this) all of my PS2 games work.

I believe you can play some PS2 games on it.

The only PS3 i know that can play them is the first one to come out..... The 20GB

only on the 60 gig