Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 10 years ago

Why is Alcohol in Canada so expensive compared to the United States?

The Canadian dollar is par with the United States dollar, so why do i have to spend almost twice as much money up here? Even Canadian made beer is twice as expensive as the beer you can buy in the USA.

Where can i go and complain about this?

Favorite Answer

We have higher taxes here- this is how we pay for medical treatment when we drink so much we get liver disease!

BTW We often have much lower prices on specialty imports, as our liquor departments can purchase these in bulk.

It's all taxes. a bottle in Canada is $35, the same bottle in the US is $18....and the cost to supplier is the same.

As for Canadian beer, they are rare. Some micro breweries still exist (Big Rock, Alley cat, Etc.) But Molson is owned by Coors, and Labbatts is owned by Budweiser, which is owned by InBev.

I live in Michigan and all the teens know the drinking age is 19 in Canada instead of 21 here in the states.. so maybe, just maybe the government knows all the American kids will cross the border to drink legally and so they feel the need to tax the sh!t out of alcohol!

or maybe not.. sorry about my rant.. I've had a few too many drinks already today.

Source(s): G'day :)

I don't know for sure (seeing as I've never been to Canada) but Canada might have a higher tax on alcohol than the U.S. does. I would suggest researching taxation laws in Canada.

Taxes, taxes, taxes. Don't waste your time complaining. It won't change. Even Canadian made alcohol is cheaper in the US than it is in Canada.

Canada is a monarchy and we the people have no say over anything in our country. All of our favorite things in Canada are either priced out of reach or banned completely. Its a sad reality we need to realize.

• Matt5 years agoReport

You're so wrong the word "stupid" would be a compliment if said to you.

• Liz

its the taxes

Idk but it's probably the economy or something besides all the prices are higher over there then in the US