When should you close the lid on a barbecue (gas)?

Aside from the obvious, like cooking a whole chicken, what makes you decide to keep the lid up or down ? Is it the size of the meat ? The kind of meat ? The quantity of it ?

What difference does it make, leaving the lid up or not ? Which should you do for steaks? Chicken breasts? Pork ? Hamburgers ?

• M M T
    Favorite Answer

I close the lid when I'm not checking on the items. Doesn't matter if it's seafood or burgers. Closing the lid traps the heat in and allows the food to cook more evenly and faster. You can actually use less heat (lower setting) when you keep the lid down.

TV commercials always show the griller flipping burgers over an open grill. I have only had one gas grill in my life and prefer charcoal but for both I cover between flipping or 'checking'. The heat is more even and not so much air gets to the coals or you can keep the gas lower and save some fuel.