Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

When should you close the lid on a barbecue (gas)?

Aside from the obvious, like cooking a whole chicken, what makes you decide to keep the lid up or down ? Is it the size of the meat ? The kind of meat ? The quantity of it ?

What difference does it make, leaving the lid up or not ? Which should you do for steaks? Chicken breasts? Pork ? Hamburgers ?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • M M T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I close the lid when I'm not checking on the items. Doesn't matter if it's seafood or burgers. Closing the lid traps the heat in and allows the food to cook more evenly and faster. You can actually use less heat (lower setting) when you keep the lid down.

• 1 decade ago

TV commercials always show the griller flipping burgers over an open grill. I have only had one gas grill in my life and prefer charcoal but for both I cover between flipping or 'checking'. The heat is more even and not so much air gets to the coals or you can keep the gas lower and save some fuel.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.