? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

French Grammar Question: agreement of past participle in present tense??? pls help!!!!?

Just need a yes or no, clarification,

French Grammar: I read in an french grammar book that reflexive verb with body in expression have no agreement with past participle..eg laver les mains,

does that mean that if I want to say (me being female), "I wash my hair" I would write "Je me suis lavé les cheveux" and not have to put an extra "e" on lavé because I am female???

THANKS for help!!!

Thanks again!!

Best Answer

it is right about the "non-agreement" because the direct object comes after the verb

elle s'est lavéE (her)

q: who did she wash ?

a: she washed herself

elle s'est lavé les cheveux (comes after the verb , no agreement required)

q: what did she wash ?

a: her hair

elle se LES ai lavés (comes before the verb: agreement required)

Hi,

I am certain that 90% of the French are not able to answer your question because French grammar is often very difficult and strange.

I think you don't have to put an extra "e" on "lavé" because you don't actually wash yourself but your hair. Moreover, "les cheveux" (the object) is after the verb. If it was before the verb, it'd be "lavés":

Je me suis lavé les cheveux ; je me les suis lavés.

Am I right? I don't know.

you defenitly don't have to put an "e" at the end cause you didn't wash yourself but your hair. In other words it would have taken an "e" in "je me suis lavee".

• Julie

Here are some definitions that will help you solve the problem yourself. The term "present participle" is confusing, since it doesn't mean that the form actually has present tense. Present participle: verb + -ing e.g. "playing" in "I am/was/will be playing" Past participle: verb +-ed (plus some irregular forms) e.g. "played" in "I have/had/will have played" and "been" in "She has/had/will have been there for hours" Past tense: verb +-ed (plus some irregular forms) e.g. "played" in "They played three songs" and "was" in "She was there for hours" Also past tense: "were playing" in "They were playing" (this is the "past progressive" or "past continuous") Infinitive: base form of the verb, with or without "to" e.g. "play" in "I saw him play" and "to play" in "She started to play"

Yeah, I think so. Almost positive.