How should I write my newspaper article on the 2010 oil spill?

I'm writing an editorial about the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and I don't know how to start it, or what subtopics to use! I'm writing this as a geography assignment. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Best Answer

The 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico... (stands to be the worst ecological disaster in US history)

I would probably compare it to the Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska, amongst others. (link provided) I would also include something about America's thirst for oil versus the need to be ecologically earth friendly. We want cheap fuel for our cars and for cooking and heating, and then we are aghast when accidents of these type occur. We can't have it both ways. We either pay for clean energy technology or we risk environmental disasters such as this. And of course we pay for it as well in lost revenue from jobs lost, higher priced fuel, higher priced food products from the disaster zone etc...