Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 10 years ago

How much oil is gushing into the Gulf of Mexico today?

Thanks BP

• jaicee
    Best Answer

BP initially asserted that 1,000 barrels of oil per day (42,000 gallons) were gushing forth from the broken pipeline. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration soon upped the estimate to 5,000 barrels per day (210,000 gallons). Then experts stated the gusher is more likely on the order of 25,000 barrels per day (1,050,000 gallons). That would mean the amount spilled already exceeds the 10.8 million gallons spilled by the Exxon Valdez, making it the worst oil spill in American history. On May 4, BP officials reported that the oil spill could grow at 12 times the initial estimate, releasing 2.5 million gallons of oil per day into the Gulf of Mexico. If the wellhead fails completely — which hasn’t happened yet — the spill rate could increase to 6.8 million gallons of oil per day.

dunno, but my dad has a water barrel, so if I take that down there, I figure I can help collect some then get $80 on the international market.

I heard something about 4,000 barrels a day.