Prior Navy medically discharged after spinal cord stimulator implant now removed wants to join AF w/seiziures?

My Husband (prior Navy) medically discharged in fall 2006 (after 12 years) after having a spinal cord stimulator implant since he couldn't be near radio waves. The civilian hospital fried the stimulator 2 years ago when they tried to give me an MRI and its been removed. As of last year he started having seizures but it now under control with medication. Can he join the Air force?

He's 38, in standards, he was Sailor of the year for the atlantic. I think he ranked 2nd in Navy sailor of the year. He was an AM and would like to continue with that career path.

I would appreciate if only recruiters and those 100% sure respond.

He took the lump sum disability when he got out and the seziures are not from the military. We tried disability when it first started but he was denied.

• NWIP
    Favorite Answer

Unless he is in an area that the AF needs and badly they will not accept prior service.

He would lose his disability if he rejoins. Also he cannot be in the military and on medication for seizures at all. He should speak to another VA rep to find out if his disability can be raised up in percent if this is deemed because of service.

• Mrsjvb

no way in hell.

one the AF has never taken many Prior service at all no matter what.

2, the AF is currently severely overmanned and are letting people already in go.

3: a waiver is not authorized for spinal issues.

4: current meds for seizure disorder: PDQ, no waivers authorized.

i started in the army and i switched to the air force after my enlistment.all i did was go through recruiter and he set me up.he wont have to go through basic unless he has been out more than six years.he would just have to go to a technical school to learn his job which he would be tdy and not have to deal with the little kids from basic training.the only problem now is the air force is over manned and its hard to get in if youre prior service.

No. And he should be getting a medical retirement from the VA.