California proposed new law -- only low or no fat milk is allowed in daycare?

Under a new bil, AB2084 (by Assemblywoman Julia Brownley, D-Santa Monica), California's licensed day care facilities can only serve low-fat or nonfat milk to children ages 2 and older, limit juice to one serving a day and ban drinks with added sweeteners.

Do you support the new law?

Favorite Answer

Nope. Sounds like healthy guidelines, but I don't see why the government should be controlling something like that.

I don't mind the ban on fruit juice, but I am against serving lowfat or nonfat milk to children 2 and older. It's ridiculous. Plenty of studies have shown that toddlers and children need the fat from milk, as much as the calcium and vitamin D. They need the whole milk, non-fat doesn't have the same nutritional values. Even pregnant women are told to drink whole milk and not skimmed.

When will California realise - milk is not the reason for the US's rising obesity, its lack of exercise and an increase in junk and processed foods. Banning whole milk is so not the answer!

the sad thing is kids are too heavy these days, but i dont think controlling milk and real fruit juice are the answers. if the little debbie snacks were taken out a kid could drink as much whole milk as they wanted!!!! I think its the fake fruit drinks--koolaid, etc that are so bad and plus all the babies now are growing up on formula...which has alot of high fructose corn syrup in it. This law is just a symptom and i dont think is going to help but it will probably help kids away from SOME calories, but not the majority, which is the real problem. what about freaking WHITE bread? that is double the calories as wheat bread.

Milk and cheese have a lot of saturated fat. The fat in whole milk is about 64% saturated fat. Drinking 1% milk brings that down to 16%. Cut the cheese way down in your diet, and not too much milk either. I ate a lot of cheese and yogurt, and ice cream. At age 53, I needed an emergency heart bypass surgery because my 3 main heart arteries were all nearly totally blocked. Soy would be a better choice, but not too much of that either.

• honey

I do like the idea but think it is silly that it has to be made a law...what a waste of money spent on that.

If it had to be made a law....where is water???? It is cheaper than juice and kids shouldn't be drinking juice on a dialy basis.(for my kids it is a treat) Milk and water should have been the law! IMO...if you dont give your kids juice(which has alot of sugar and calories and the juice they will serve.."apple" doesn't have any nutritional value!!!) It doesn't matter if you give whole, 1,2% or skim. Milk isn't what is causing the obesity issue(i am assuming that is why the law has been made) it is the other foods and drinks we are giving our children!)

I guess since it had to be made a law...I support it...better than nothing. But I would have made it different if I had a say. I would have made it milk and water and NO junk foods(cookies, chips, sweet foods) are only to be served in a licenced daycare facility!

No. What about kids with digestion problems who may _need_ full fat milk? What about kids who have small, regular amounts of fruit juice because of constipation issues? Isn't that better for them than drugs, if it works for them?

I don't have an issue with the added sweeteners thing - a good daycare wouldn't use them anyway.

I think it is the hormones in the milk that are making the kids and adults fat. It started in 1996 and that is when soon after everything started getting pretty bad. Body shapes changed and girls started maturing faster.

I think milk fat is good for a person, just not artificial hormones.

I'm not sure that I do. Babies need the calcium, protein, and vitamin D for healthy bones and strong teeth. I am 52 and I have osteoporosis, which is a thinning of the bones. Anyone can get it. Male or female.

Source(s): Reclast.com

I am going to say no to this one! My reasons for this is my daughter, born 10 weeks early, has problems gaining weight and is on a high protein diet including whole milk! Now if I ever go to put her into day care it will be harder for her to stick to her diet which a medical Dr has her on!

• myant

cows milk is for baby cows... mothers milk for human babies. now goats milk is the closest thing to mothers milk and the fat molecules are smaller and more easily digested for a baby and very young child. I understand that when a child reaches about 2 years old they do not have the enzymes any longer to properly digest milk. the best sources for calcium is dark green leafy vegetables. In Florida the before school program served horrible nasty food for the little ones... the only thing that may have had some nutrition was a piece of fresh fruit...the rest of this government food was absolute garbage. do you know that the military does not serve butter because it is too expensive??? i bet there are elected official that use butter and extra virgin olive oil... margarine is dangerous... butter should not be eaten in large quantities but it is a natural product not manufactured and highly processed like margarine is... salt should NOT be restricted... but the KIND of salt should be prohibited... the sodium chloride is dangerous... some salt has aluminum in it some has dextrose... and other ingredients as well that are not good... where the H... is the FDA??? they dont do their job ... for foods served to children in a day care or school setting we need fresh fruits, quality proteins, fresh vegetables... i bought the tube of ground beef in wal-marts to give to my dog... she started to develop engorged breasts and express milk... i stopped giving her the hormone laced meat and her body went back to normal... and this crap humans consume... i will drink an occasional glass of raw cow or goat milk... when i have coffee or tea i want heavy cream in it... jersey cows give some great cream... otherwise i rarely use milk...juice, pasteurized is nothing more than sugar water... we need fresh juiced fruit. in reality if my child were to go to a facility I would provide the food and drink for them...