rank of japanese automakers?

who are top 5 japanese automakers in terms of quality? not popularity. toyota would be #1 other wise.

would it be wrong to say nissan is #1? and is mitsubishi crap?

Update:

even 5 years ago, i wouldn't have said toyota was #1. I never liked them for preference reasons. My guess is that they were #1 in popularity because of many kinds of car and good mix of service and price.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No.1 toyota (overall its good service and highest quality well balanced constantly)

No.2 nissan (something missing but not too bad)

No.3 honda (sort of otaku style)

No.4 mazda (unique engines but that's all)

No.5 mitsubishi (cheap interior/exterior designs but good engines)

(based on not brand name but manufacture name)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Quinn
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It really depends on how you define a "automaker" and quality.

For Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda, etc auto manufacturing represent only a small part or division within a Japanese mega-corporation. These mega-corp are incredibly huge and diverse in their business ventures. For example, Toyota does not only make cars, but they are into financial services, robotics, aerospace, private universities, build houses, biotechnology, Mitsubishi have divisions that build aircrafts, ships, heavy construction equipment, cars, trucks, and have business in banking, manufacturing of chemical, food, consumer goods, petro-chemical, etc. The same can be said of Honda.

Toyota's auto division is consider the world's largest but I'm not sure by what criteria was used to decide this because in comparison Mitsubishi is a much large mega-corp.

So the question is if you make 1 million products and only 2% were defective is that better than someone who makes 100 thousand and only has a defect rate of 2%, which one has a higher quality? Remember that a straightline percentage comparison does not take into account the complexity of a higher volume of production.

• 1 decade ago

I wouldn't say Toyota would be #1. Lately, they've had a ton of problems getting their cars to work. There have been car crashes where the Toyota cars won't slow down and just keep speeding up.

Nissan is a pretty reliable company, I find.

• 1 decade ago

Well, what are the 'qualities' you're looking for in a car? If you mean 'good handling' or 'durability' the #1 is Subaru. (Jeremy Clarckson happens to agree)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.