Sam asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Any holocaust survivors out there who wants to share their stories?

I'm fascinated with the Holocaust. It's a very sad event and sometimes I put myself in that time and imagine how can I escape because it's impossible especially when you have no idea you are being murdered. Are you a survivor? Have you heard a story from other survivors? Please share and let us know how they were able to survive/escape against all odds.

Favorite Answer

I'm the granddaughter of 2 holocaust survivors and my grandparents have told me little bit about their time before and during the Holocaust.

My grandfather is from Germany and he's Jewish, he came from a big family. His family came from a small village near the German/Polish border. For over 2,000 years our family was very much loved in the village, his father worked as a butcher slaughtering cattle, sheep, etc. And his mother was a school teacher. Then Hitler rose to power in Berlin and it didn't take long until Antisemitism spread all through out Germany. His father and mother both had to quit their jobs for it was against the law for Jewish people to have jobs, then they had to wear the Star of David. The people who thought were their friends all shunned them. In the Summer of 1939 the order came to transport all Jewish people into the concentration camps. Once they got there they were seperated into 2 groups the very young and the very old or the people who couldn't work were immediatly sent to the gas chambers. Those who were fit enough to work were put into the work gangs and were forced to work on just about anything from dawn to dusk and if they couldn't work anymore they were either shot on site or were taking to the gas chambers.

My grandmother lived most of her life in Italy, but she was Polish though. She remembers when Hitler invaded Poland. She was visting her sister who was seven months pregnant at the time. Because they were Jewish they weren't allowed to leave for Italy. Her sister's husband who was a college professor was ordered to quit his job and the college turned over his possisson to a non Jew. In the winter of 1940 the family was ordered to go to a concentration camp. Just like it was with my grandfather, same thing happened with her. Her sister was seperated to the group of people who were to be gased along with 2 cousins and her parents. She and her sister's husband were put into the group that were to be slave labor. In 1943 her brother-in-law was shot because he collasped from working to hard.

In the winter of 1944 her group were put into a train and were sent to Auschwitz. My grandfather's group were sent to Auschwitz as well. Then in the summer of 1945 the order came to kill every man, woman, and child in the camp before the Russians came (the amazing thing though was that's how my grandparents met.)

Then in summer of 1945 the Russians came and liberated the camp. Soon after the war my grandparents decided that Europe was a dangerous place from them and their growing family (my grandmother was 3 months pregnant at this time) so they left for the USA and my father was born on the way here.

You're right the Holocaust showed the entire world what humans can do to each other given the chance, that's why its important to not only stay informed about what happened, but let other people know that it did happen to prevent something like that from ever happening again.

I believe though that God allowed it to happen because 2 important things came out of it. And they are:

1. The nation of Israel was formed. Just like the ancient prophets predicted.

2. The UN was formed as well. To prevent something like that from ever happening again.

And on a personal thing I was able to be born, for if my grandparents were killed or never met I won't be here right now.

The link below is to a site that contains two survivors stories as well as other superior features:

http://trm.images.tripod.com/index.html

Another great printed source for a superior telling of a survivor tale is found in Maus: A Survivor's Tale, a biography by Art Spiegelman, presented in the form of a graphic narrative. The graphic narrative as a whole took thirteen years to complete. It recounts the struggle of Spiegelman's father to survive the Holocaust as a Polish Jew and draws largely on his recollections of his experiences. All people are presented as anthropomorphic animals. (For example, all Jews are depicted as mice; hence the title Maus, which is German for "mouse".)

The book includes one of Spiegelman's earlier comics that describes the events surrounding his mother's suicide. It also delves on his troubled relationship with his father and the way the effects of war reverberate through generations of a family. In 1992, it won a Pulitzer Prize Special Award. The New York Times described the selection of Maus for the honor: "The Pulitzer board members ... found the cartoonist's depiction of Nazi Germany hard to classify." It can be found in any library and is highly recommended.

I applaude your desire to learn more about this tragic bit of history. While it is indeed a sad story, there are other aspects of the Holocaust, especially the tales of survivors that you express an interest in, that tell the other side of human nature. The heroic side.

Don't ever let anyone discourage you from learning about those subjects you find fascinating.

Below is a link to a Yahoo! Group of experts able to answer any further questions you may have.

.

Source(s): Yahoo! Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3rdReichStudies/join All are welcome!

Joe Diamond...he is amazing. He currently lives in Buffalo, NY and just about 3 weeks ago he spoke to my school about his experiences at Auschwitz. That was the 3rd time that I heard him speak and his story is amazing...he is of course very old now but he wants to share his story to ensure that another holocaust doesn't occur again. He said that his mother and brother were sent straight to the gas chambers...that's so sad :(

1

• Steve

There are several Holocaust museums in America that are very informative.

• lennon

Here's one from Wisconsin. Henry Golde.

He's been talking to school kids for years.

He also wrote a book, called Ragdolls.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/HolocaustSurvivors...

Hm, Good luck finding answers!

A lot of them are dying. I don't think many are using the internet.

Oh well, Good luck! Its good that you feel with people.

Dude, Piper: Calm down. He doesn't mean fascinated as in he loves it/thinks its a good thing.

He just wants to learn about it.

Jesus. Show some respect, dude. There's nothing "fascinating" about the Holocaust. It was horrible, evil, disgusting, brutal, and absolutely inhuman. What on earth makes you think that a survivor of the 20th century's most horrifying event would want to talk about it with some punk from Yahoo Answers??

If you are interested in that period of history, read a book! And maybe get some counseling for being "fascinated" with something so dark, cruel and inhuman.