Is a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee worth keeping?

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that I bought for $1,600. It's automatic with power windows, it's a 4x4, and it has 6 cylinders. It's really clean (as in not worn out) on the inside and the outside looks brand new. I had the engine checked and it has no problems. So far it has 155K miles. The problem is that it needs to have the transmission restored and my mechanic is charging me $1,500 to have it restored and he's giving me 1 year of free service for the transmission if it needs anything. I was wondering if it is woth investing in fixing it or not. This is my dream car and I planned on keeping it but I don't know if I should now. Is it worth it? I heard Jeeps can last for many years is it true?

• Best Answer

I'd keep it if that was its only problem. 1500 is not cheep, but where else are you going to find a car around 1500 bucks that runs as good as your jeep? Make sure theres nothing else wrong wirth it, and just ride.

• Ashlee

Check out auto trader and Ebay and if you sort them by mileage you will see that the grand cherokee's with the 4.0last well into 200K+ miles and there are a few 300,000 milers out there. To answer your question I would say don't think twice do get the transmission rebuilt and continue driving your Jeep.

Here is another way to think about it.....

Your Jeep: Monthly Payment = $0 Repairs over a year = $1500 if you break that into a monthly payments that is around 125 a month.

Newer Jeep: Monthly payment = $300 Repairs over a year = $500 which is going to add another $40 to your monthly payments bringing that newer Jeep to around $340 - $350. Why not put $175 dollars away for future repairs and $175 dollars away into a savings account. Sit back and watch it grow. At least that is what I'm doing with my 97 Grand Cherokee...I just put a new motor in it but now it will last another 210,576 miles.

Here is my .02 If you buy a new car you are looking at a $400+ dollar car payment, if you buy a new, average priced car, and pay that for the next 4 to 5 years. OR.... Spend $1000 - $3000 and you can have a rebuilt engine installed usually with at least a 1 year warranty. Even if you have to take out a loan or use a payment plan you will be way below the total for a new car. Then again if you are looking for a reason to get a new car, go ahead and get it, why look for an excuse?

Have your mechanic check your engine. If he thinks it will last, then go ahead and get the transmission done. $1500 is a lot cheaper than paying out thousands - and having all those payments for so many years. Just keep in mind that fuel won't get any cheaper ...

Many years is true, but it already has 155K miles. And the mfg does not have to supply parts for it once it's 10 years old.

i would. mines a 93 with 210,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ.