Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 10 years ago

PLEASE help me with Poetry?

i have to find 6 devices and write a paragraph on what the poet is trying to say about Ozymandias then translate the poem so that people now a days will understand. the first line would be " i met a traveler from an old land"

Ozymandias

I met a traveler from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:

Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away

if you can help me with even one of these questions that would be great !!!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

The poet, Shelly, wrote this with an effort of not having anything to do with Kings, so he had a traveler speak about a statue of a king that lay in a desert, instead of writing the poem in the first person and thereby implicating himself. It's a mean and vengeful king that the sculptor has made apparent when he made the statue which mocks the king with the visage of having a frown, sneer and wrinkled lip, but who still had a heart that fed his people. However nothing remains but desert which says that all power is meaningless and so war and dominating empires are temporary and, like a desert mirage, is an illusion.