Gulf of Mexico oil spill solutions?

can someone explain to me in detail the method of cutting "the pipe and placing a cap over it" ... which pipe ( i don't get it )? ... and why did this method fail ?

Best Answer

the well is basicly a hole in the ground going far enough down so that it hits the oil underneath... that oil is under a LOT of pressure so it forces its way up the pipe and out into the platform on top.. which throttles the flow.. sending it to ships....

something <no one knows what yet> blew up on the bottom this twisted and torqueed the pipe which made most of the methods they knew of to control the spill NOT work... the emergency shutoff inside the well head also failed.

what the current plan was .. was to slide a new pipe inside the existing one and bow relieves till all of the oil coming up from the old pipe <which is btw 21" in outside diamert> goes up the new pipe...

the problem is the top kill method cleaned out the inside of the old pipe.. resulting in a much higher flow rate than before.. and the current flow rate exceeds the capability of the smaller pipe they put inside of it

hope that explains it clearly enough 8 )

• John W

The seafloor is about a mile down so there was a mile worth of pipe from the seafloor to the rig, the Horizon. When the Horizon sank, the one mile worth of pipe collapsed in a tangled mess on the sea floor.

That's why they had to do two cuts, first they attached a cable to support the weight of the pipe, then they made a cut some distance away to disconnect the mile worth of tangled piping, then they made another cut at the top of the Blowout Preventer so that the cap could be placed on top.

Why don't you ask Covidien? I'm sure if anyone happens to get sick from the chemical thats getting spilled in the gulf they might have some good ideas, they might even know the people doing it. There's actually a whole group of healthcare providers just waiting to give good ideas, tons of products just waiting to be sold to the American public, too bad they aren't sick. We really should have took a better look at that socialized healthcare now shouldn't we? You know whats amazing is they put so much of the chemical in the water, I could barely see the oil. I think out of all those pictures of the oil spill, I like the ones that look like the horse from the book of revelations and a snakes head from the book of genesis, some really scary stuff...

Well from what I've read which came to my attention that basically the cap didn't work. So there deciding to build a freaken well deep down in the water to fix this by early August. In my opinion this is freaken stupid they should just have regular pedestrians help out with this issue I'm sure people have time on there hands. This is an issue for all humanity not just the government and/or environmentalist.

Try to imagine a giant upside down funnel. It failed because the oil coming out is at an estimated pressure of 20,000 to 70,000 psi and is a mile below the surface. Not a friendly environment to try to work in.

I think all women should donate their padded bikini tops to form a miles long chain of oil barrier and absorption material, and for the duration of the oil spill cleanup all gulf coast beaches will become topless beaches to promote tourism

if its sooo hard to go down there how do we drill that oil eveyday. we explore the ocean all the time so whats soo hard. lets blame bush for a natural disaster but everyones too scared to point fingers at the problem we have now, barack! thats how we fix the oil problem, get rid of the idiot running our country. people are too worried about how cut michelles arms are to see that america has REAL problems!!!! what happened to barack obama the environmentalist?????

when people get hair guts they need tell the barber to donate the hair to the gulf. the hair will absorbe the oil and every one will be happy

• because Obama was too busy throwing the first pitch at a baseball game rather than brainstorming solutions to it

it's 5000 feet underwater. it's kind of hard to go down that far.