Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

After Jesus died on the cross, did Jesus go to hell for three days? or did he go into paradise right away?

I am a little confused because I read that he did go to hell for us to get the keys, but what does it mean in Luke 23:43- "assuredly I say to you today you will be with me in paradise."

Favorite Answer

He went to Abraham's Bosom, Purgatory where the souls of the righteous were waiting. Paradise is not Heaven.

Luke 16:22

And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom. And the rich man also died: and he was buried in hell.

2Corinthians 12:4 That he was caught up into paradise, and heard secret words, which it is not granted to man to utter.

Jesus did not ascend in to heaven until later:

Mark 16:19 And the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God.

Peace be with you

<<<Devout Catholic>>>

• Luke 23:43, in English translation, depends on where you put the comma. The original Greek had no comma at all.

But some ancient Bible translations, recognizing that Jesus did not go to paradise the same day that he died, put the comma where the meaning is clear:

"Truly I say to you today, you will be with me in paradise." -- Old Syriac (Curetonian)

"Truly I say to you today, you will be with me in the paradise." -- Sahidic Coptic (Sahidica)

Jesus made the promise on the day of his death, "today," but the promise was to be fulfilled at a later date.

After his death, Jesus was in the grave (hades, mistranslated as "hell") for three days.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible

50Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Matt 27:51And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

1 Peter3:18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

22Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

The bible says in case you have never read it that He went into hades and made an open display of the devil and his demons and then took the keys to hell and dying and gave them to the church.

The Holy Spirit resurrected His body and went around showing His disciples the wounds in his hands and feet and his side. He even had a meal down by the seaside with Peter an his disciples. Proving that He was not dead and He is the same one crucified and that He was Alive for ever more. He is seated at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us all constantly.

Source(s): Camille I read the word of God and it has all the truth

He was dead for the time period between death and resurrection. Resurrection is raising from the dead. Then after God resurrected him he remained on earth for an additional 40 days with his apostles.

Acts 1:3 To these also by many positive proofs he showed himself alive after he had suffered, being seen by them throughout forty days and telling the things about the kingdom of God.

The word “hell” is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read “the grave,” “the world of the dead,” and so forth. Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words that are sometimes rendered “hell”; that is, they express them with the letters of our alphabet but leave the words untranslated. What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohl′ and its Greek equivalent hai′des, which refer, not to an individual burial place, but to the common grave of dead mankind.

i can't remember extremely the position it really is, possibly contained in the e book of Jude, or one in all those in the course of the properly, it says that Jesus went into hell and preached to those who were being held captive. some the position else it says that He led captivity captive (i.e. those who believed Him were set loose from their captivity). elsewhere, it says that He conquered lack of life, hell and the grave, and took the keys of lack of life, hell and the grave from devil. (it truly is a week rendition. i can't remember the precise wording.) Jesus instructed the thief on the go, "I allow you to comprehend on the present time you'd be with me in paradise", yet observe there are not any commas. it may examine, "I allow you to comprehend on the present time, you'd be with me in paradise." no longer inevitably, "I allow you to comprehend, on the present time you'd be with me in paradise."

Jesus did not go to heaven that day, nor did he go to heaven after that. He stayed on EARTH teaching his disciples for 40 more days before he returned to heaven.

Acts 2 KJV

25For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

26Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

27Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

31He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Acts 1 KJV

2Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:

3To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

The Greek language has no commas so no comma appears in that verse.

Jesus did not take him to heaven that day, but told him that he would go to paradise that very day. He just did not say when....see John 14:3, 1 Cor. 15:23, Isaiah 65:17, 20, 26:8-10, Eccles. 3:17-20, more.

Debbie

I think first he went to paradise to present his blood,

the High Priest job, of our savior to redeem his people.

Jesus was the true King-Priest.

The bible tells us that his soul was not left in hell.

He did go there to the grave, he was judged and found guiltless.

He took the keys of death and hell

and defeated the last enemy which was death.

• Godboy

I think He went to hell to preach the word to them. In rev.5 He is seen holding the keys that hell and death formerly had. Something about breaking the gates to hell also. When He "died" on the cross, He tore the veil to the holiest of holies at the temple, went through tthe altar on His way down, did a few chores, rose up throught the altar of incense, and went to our Father. Might be a bit too imaginative there,,but,,excuuuuuuuse me

We were talking about this in class. I believe Jesus went to heaven for those three days. But, we're not Jesus, so we wouldn't know. I like to hope he was in paradise, though, because he went through enough.