How difficult is the book of revelations to read?

My friends and me have alot of debates on the book of revelations and some of the others over the whole end of the world scenario. I am not saying I believe in it or not or even that I'm a christian. I am just a curious person that likes to read. So how difficult is the book of revelations to read? I mean is it written in that old style of english which makes it hard to understand now days. Also to get the full story would I need to read the the other bible books?

Best Answer

It depends on what version of the Bible you have. If it's the NIV it shouldn't be too hard to read.

My Bible is the KJV, so it uses pretty language, but can be a little harder to understand.

Okay, I'm not a Christian, so take that into consideration, but if you can go into the Book of Revelation with an open mind and not trying to find a "hidden message" it can be a really fun read. A lot of adventure, destruction and fire. Sort of like a good action movie.

There is no book of revelations in the Bible. There is however a book entitled, "The Revelation of Jesus Christ." Ummmm, I would say it is very difficult to read with understanding, but the introduction to the book of Revelation offers a promise to those who will read it. Try a modern English translation. To get a full understanding of Revelation one does need to be familiar with all the other books of the Bible.

Basically, if you read Genesis, Isaiah 53-61, Ezekiel 37-39, Daniel, Matthew 24, Luke 17, and both epistles to the Thessalonians that should give you excellent background on Revelation.

The Book of Revelation is written in symbolism, and that makes it even hairier. I have a study bible called "Life Application Study Bible", New Living Translation. Not only does it have the scripture, but it has footnotes at the bottom explaining in plain English what Revelation means. It needs to be studied thoroughly in order to understand it. It explains what is to happen in the future, the last prophecy yet to be fulfilled. In easier terms, Revelation speaks of the End Times after the rapture (christians who accepted Christ are taken out, sometimes referred to as "the church"), when the Great Tribulation is in full swing and the Anti-christ takes power. The Unholy Trinity will work together (Satan, Anti-christ, False prophet), to bring as many people down with them as possible. Some of these who are in the Great Tribulation will accept Christ and eventually join the raptured group in Heaven. During the Great Tribulation sorrows and catastrophes will happen like no other before, and on a global scale.

Most people have a difficult time deciphering revelations. However look at the book of daniel and check the similarities. Use them in tandem. Daniel will aid in explaining some of the events in the last book. Daniel and John saw the same thing and explained from their own perspective.

It helps to read additional books for clarity.

It is Revelation, not Revelations.

This is an extremely hard book to understand, and as far as my study has shown (40 continuous years) there has been no one to accurately decipher the images in this enigmatic book. There are some extremely beautiful parts, and some parts which I feel certain were meant only for the writer and perhaps for a set few of pre-Constantinian Christians who may have read it.

Source(s): I am a Bible scholar.

The problem for anyone, christian and non christian alike, is that prophecy is not usually solidified until it actually come to pas

At that time the symbolism is easily understood in light of the actual happenings

Yes there are some very specific prophecy that was not open to misinterpretation, like the man who rebuilds the gate will do so at the loss of his son's life, that kind of thing

but even those who studied the who of the jewish scripture missed it when it came to Jesus.

Avoid arguments of this sort. If God is true (and I am a christian, s I believe that he ie) then it will all work its way out and become clear, at the appropriate time.

It was written in old school Greek, actually, translated to Latin as the faith grew with cultural expansion, and then to English. Revelations is not intended to be read literally (fundamentalists believe otherwise). Metaphor draws on images from the natural world, human experience and emotion, social structures and pairs them with psychological and spiritual realities or concepts.

Source(s): my whopping bloody genius
  • Esther

I find Revelation to be a difficult book because of the large amount of symbolism in it. However, if you don't mind, may I recommend a great commentary? It's called "What the World is Coming To" and it is a verse by verse commentary on Revelation by Pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel, which is a really great bible teaching church. I've read my copy so many times, it's almost in pieces....time for a new one.

Not hard at all, I have read it many times.

But a good understanding of the Book of Daniel helps.

Because the Ancient of Days decribed in the Book of Daniel, is very similar to the King of Kings described in Revelation. Hair like wool, is the part that stand out to me, because that is the hair of divinity. The fact that man was created in God's Image, after his likeness, shows why Black People, the first people on the planet also have hair like wool.

• MPH

There are two things that allows anyone to understand Revelations. One must use all the other books to interpret it and God must give you wisdom to understand it. That's it.

Rev. 1

3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.