What's generally your reaction to utterly beautiful songs?

I was just listening to Nick Drake's Pink Moon and the absolute beauty of the album just broke my heart. Maybe because it reminded me how temporary beautiful things are... or just the whole idea of Nick Drake's life...

But anyway, I always find that beautiful songs break my heart more than anything else... how about you? What's your general reaction when you hear a beautiful song?

Favorite Answer

It's one of two general reactions:

"F*ck you, Beauty... you do not represent reality, I will now listen to ugliness."

or

"F*ck you, Reality... this is how it all should always be."

I wish I could see reality as beautiful but at the present time that is hard.

Some of the most beautiful songs that I've ever heard: Redemption Song by Bob Marley Lilywhite by Cat Stevens Landslide by Fleetwood Mac Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley My Sweet Lord by George Harrison Iris by Goo Goo Dolls Don't Cry Daddy by Elvis Presley Kiss From A Rose by Seal Fire & Rain by James Taylor Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce California Dreamin' by The Mamas & The Papas Wonderwall by Oasis Cheek To Cheek by Fred Astaire Do You Believe In Loneliness? by Marc Anthony You Are Not Alone by Michael Jackson Open Arms by Journey Shine Your Light by Robbie Robertson Maybe I'm Amazed by Paul McCartney Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve Purple Rain by Prince Fast Car by Tracy Chapman Yesterday by The Beatles Wherever You Will Go by The Calling To name a few...

I just sit there, staring into nothing.

Oh, by the way, Pink Moon is absolutely beautiful. Nick Drake was so overlooked in his lifetime, a pity aint it?

• Adam

It depends on the song usually. I mean if it's along the lines of a beautiful love song then I will think about my personal life and sometimes I will get me down or make me happy (Depending on how my personal life is going lol). If it's a beautiful song about anything else I will think "wow" and kind of take it in.

I start smiling and feel really happy with amazement at how beautiful it is. That happened when I listened to the song "Estranged" by Guns N' Roses. Also, when I listen to songs that have awesome guitar parts I start smiling and really wish I could play the guitar. I love when I hear songs that make me feel like that.

I hear and feel music with my skin. If I love any sort of music, I will get goosebumps as a result. My better half and my kids always notice that. Some music also makes me cry, usually classical or opera...I can't help it. I also cry to some rock songs....the last one that did that to me was Dream Theater's "The Best of Time".

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGsLTSsQk4

Youtube thumbnail

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=0p9LrKuDkeA

When I was a kid, the first rock song that made me cry and still brings always tears to my eyes is Genesis' "Ripples". One of the most beautiful songs ever written in any genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8Cn9vJ14I

Youtube thumbnail

Only heartless women break my heart like nothing else. Beautiful heartbreaking music just makes me the sadder.

I think this is the saddest song I ever heard, it's beauty could poison the universe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgtiC0IPTU

Youtube thumbnail

I can't help but repeating the song over and over again as I try to dissect the words.

A quite fuzzy feeling, then the chills. Delightful.