Why does the IRS building in Washington DC have a pair of hands at the entrance?

One statue is the index finger pointing upwards, the other is shaped like how the Queen would wave. They are very tall statues leading into the entrance of the building. When I visited, I didn't see anything by the statues as to what they represent.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

From the Washington Post:

Answer Man: The Big Hands of the Law

By John Kelly

Monday, June 20, 2005

My query is about the two enormous hands on black-and-white pillars outside the Internal Revenue Service building across from the New Carrollton Metro station ....

... The two pillars are just 66.6 percent of artist Larry Kirkland 's sculptural work in front of what is technically, if rather drably, known as the Federal Building.

The centerpiece is a black granite pyramid etched with the U.S. Constitution. Across a little plaza are the two columns. Each is composed of alternating bands of black granite and white marble ...

... The most striking elements are the huge, white marble hands atop each column. Each hand points skyward, one with the forefinger extended; the other is an open hand, the fingers ever so slightly cupped ...

... The 1997 work is called "Vox Populi," which is Latin for "the voice of the people." The hand with the raised index finger represents deliberation, argument, the gesticulation of a speaker giving his or her opinion. The hand with an open palm represents the act of voting or taking an oath.

The columns are engraved with more hands, the profiles of people engaged in conversation and quotations from various well-known figures, including Ben Franklin , John Milton and Frederick Douglass . One catchy selection is from the late senator Margaret Chase Smith (R-Maine), whose basic forms of "Americanism" include "the right to criticize, the right to hold unpopular beliefs, the right to protest, the right of independent thought.

• punch
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

New Carrollton Federal Building

• 3 years ago

Irs New Carrollton

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Thankyou for the answers, very much appreciated

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.