Besides the "Big Three" who is/was the biggest draw in wrestling history?

By the "Big Three", I mean Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and The Rock, all of whom drew insane amounts of money to wrestling. Aside from them, who's who's the biggest drawer of all time?

BQ: Who's the biggest draw today?

BQ2: I had a conversation with another user yesterday about the definition of the term "worker". How do YOU define a "good worker"? Is it the ability to connect with the crowd, like a Hogan or a Warrior, or is it being able to have a great match with anyone, like a Christian or a Shelton Benjamin? What makes a "great worker"?

Favorite Answer

I would probably say The Undertaker. Ever since he debuted his "Deadman" gimmick, a huge majority of the WWE viewers have become fascinated and intrigued by him. And, when his Wrestlemania winning streak started, he drew in more viewers because people were curious about him and were interested to see him wrestle. I've been to several wrestling shows in the past where the entire arena would chant his name, even if he wasn't present that night, just because they wanted to see him make an appearance so badly. I would definitely say that The Undertaker is one of the biggest drawers in the WWE history.

BQ: As for the biggest drawer today, I would say John Cena. He appeals to a majority of the WWE Universe today, especially the younger viewers. He sells a ton of merchandise for the company, and, I'm pretty sure there are a number of wrestling fans out there that buy tickets just to see him. Every time he makes his entrance at an arena, whether it be for a wrestling match or for a promo, the arena explodes with cheering.

BQ 2: I think to be a good worker, you have to be able to do both- you have to connect with the crowd, and you have to be a good wrestler. If somebody is only good on the mic, but terrible when it comes to actual wrestling, I would definitely not consider them to be a good worker. Sure, you have to connect with the WWE fans and get a reaction out of them, but if you can't back it up when it comes to in ring wrestling, you're not "great" at being a WWE Superstar. These days, it seems like real wrestling doesn't even matter in the WWE anymore, but to me, a great worker has to be able to wrestle a good, entertaining match with whoever they step into the ring with. Christian is a great example of a good worker today, because he's excellent on the mic and he always connects with the crowd, and he's a really great wrestler who usually doesn't disappoint when it comes to his matches.

I'm pretty sure when he was in the WWE Kurt Angle was one of the biggest draws the company had and he said they held him back from designing a lot of products because they wanted Rock and Austin to get the merchandise products because it was a guaranteed thing.

BQ: It's definitely John Cena hate him or love him he sells the most product, I'd say Jeff Hardy was a huge one for WWE also. And it wouldn't surprise me if Randy Orton is also a huge draw.

BQ2 A great worker is someone who is talented in the ring and can manipulate the crowd to either like him or hate him. A job as a wrestler is to put on a good match and to either draw heat or draw a pop. If the wrestler is not as good in the ring (like John Cena and Hogan) then they become a good worker by entertaining outside of the ring.

Ric Flair drew big crowds when he was the NWA World Heavyweight Champion back in the 80s.

BQ: Whether people like it or not the biggest draw in wrestling today is John Cena. He attracts kids and females to WWE events and his merchandise flies of the rack, shelve or wherever they put it.

BQ2: My definition of a good worker is somebody that can cut promos, connect with the fans and deliver consistently good matches no matter who he or she is wrestling against.

Source(s): Say Hello To The Bad Guy

Bruno Sammartino "up north", Ric Flair "down south", Freddie Blassie "out west", Buddy Rogers "back east", and Lou Thesz pretty much everywhere. All were major draws who regularly packed arenas and sold out shows. It's hard to say who among them was the biggest draw.

But I would say Ric Flair was the biggest draw. Sammartino, Blassie, Rogers, and Thesz generally stayed in big cities with their much denser populations. Sammartino and Rogers in New York City, Blassie in Los Angeles, and Thesz's home base was St. Louis.

Flair, though, wrestled everywhere from high school gyms to huge arenas in big cities such as Atlanta and sold out everywhere.

I would give the nod to Flair because he drew fans from wider, less populated, areas who had to travel farther to fill up the arenas he headlined.

BQ: John Cena. A lot of fans say they hate Cena, a large portion of them want Cena gone from the business. Yet WWE shows with Cena headlining still sell out. Consistently. For years.

BQ2: Lou Thesz was famous for "testing" opponents in the ring. He began a lot of his matches (especially against guys he hadn't wrestled before, or wrestled very often) shooting. He wanted to test his opponent's abilities and, more importantly, his trustworthiness. Thesz wanted to be certain that his opponent wasn't going to "try anything" at Thesz's expense. After Thesz was satisfied with his opponent, he'd tell the guy "let's work". Which meant to put on a believable show, to give the fans an interesting and exciting wrestling match full of holds and counterholds, moves and countermoves, "drama", and maybe a little "controversy", and get the fans to suspend their disbelief and get caught up in the match so much that they reacted instinctively and viscerally, believing (at least for the duration of the match) that it was completely real.

By that definition (which I agree with) the best "worker" I've ever seen was Ric Flair.

The problem with the majority of today's wrestlers is there isn't much believability in what they are doing in the ring. A lot of them do ridiculous moves (especially the "high impact" ones) that would cripple people if done for real, AND they get right up from them within seconds (not selling the impact, danger, and effect of the move), except for those high-impact moves deemed "finishers". Which gives the impression that they're just doing a series of carefully planned stunts. The "indys" generally have MUCH better wrestling matches than the "big leagues" but they are...more guilty...of no-selling those high-impact dangerous moves. There's a difference between "working stiff" and just not selling. Chris Benoit "worked stiff" but everything he did in the ring was believable; he sold the effects of those high-impact dangerous moves (giving and receiving). Bryan Danielson, the same.

Connecting with the crowd, charisma, showmanship...all are part of being a "good worker". But the most important ingredient is the ability to put on a wrestling match so believable that you make the fans "forget" it's "scripted" and they are reacting with their hearts and their guts, not their minds.