Why do the great swords break in the story lord of the rings?

I have to know the answer this question because it is an assignment from my english teacher.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Elendil used Narsil in the Siege of Barad-dûr, but Sauron killed Elendil and the sword broke into two pieces under him as he fell. Elendil's son Isildur took up the sword and used its shard to cut the One Ring from the hand of Sauron. Isildur took the shards home with him. Shortly before Isildur was killed in the second year of the Third Age in the Disaster of the Gladden Fields, the shards were rescued by Ohtar, squire of Isildur's oldest son. He took them to Rivendell, where Isildur's youngest son Valandil was fostered.

The Shards of Narsil were one of the heirlooms of the Kings of Arnor, and after the Northern Kingdom was destroyed they remained an heirloom of the Rangers of the North. It was not reforged until the War of the Ring at the end of the Third Age.

In Third Age 3019 Narsil was reforged in Rivendell as Andúril, the "Flame of the West", for Aragorn, the heir of Isildur. He carried the sword during his journey south as part of the Fellowship of the Ring, and it featured prominently at several points in the story, where it was sometimes referred to as the "Sword That Was Broken" or "The Sword Reforged".

• 10 years ago

Narsil was the powerful sword wielded by the kings of Gondor prior to and during the first war against Sauron. Its most notable bearer was Elendil, the father of Isildur.

During the final battle of the first war against Sauron, Narsil was shattered by Sauron, and Elendil slain. However, upon wielding a shard of the blade, Isildur succeeded in cutting the One Ring from the hand of Sauron, this defeating the ruler of Mordor and brought temporary peace to Middle-earth.

During the second and final War of the Ring, Narsil was reforged by the elves into Anduril, the Flame of the West. It was then given to Aragorn the heir of gondor.

• Silver
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

The only sword that I know of that broke in the LOTR is Narsil. It broke in battle when Elendil fell. It was later reforged into Anduril, the sword that Aragorn used at the end of the book.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.