cab99smilin asked in SportsHockey · 10 years ago

What is the distance (mile/kilometer) that a top pro ice hockey player skates in the course of one game?

I know it is basically a series of sprints but I am curious about it. In other terms I suppose a stride/step count could prove just as useful. Hockey is a demanding sport on the whole body but i thought the answer to this might be interesting, just can't locate any studies discussing it. Any references one could provide would be awesome. Thanks.

thanks donovan. I suspected it had been asked before I didn't realize how long ago it had been asked.

Favorite Answer

On October 24, 2008, Garmin used GPSs on 8 players in a game between Philadelphia and New Jersey, Paul Martin led all players with 5.1 miles skated (keep in mind that the GPS records movement even when a player is gliding). Martin Brodeur over the course of the same game skated 0.7miles (3700 feet).

Linesman Ray Scapinello told TSN several years ago that he skated about 12 miles a game (about 180 laps around the rink, or 3 per minute)

I play outdoor hockey in southern Manitoba - by no means pro. I play forward and will generally average 6 miles per game (using a Garmin 920X to measure distance). My max distance in a game has been 7.8 miles. This doesn t really equate to pro hockey players, since we don t play with full lines, and the games aren t really capped at an hour.

I was going to say it is the officials and the linesman that do more skating than the players, as they are on the ice the entire game and constantly skating to cover/watch the play.

2 to 4 miles over the course of a game depending on length of game, substitutions, and play style between the two teams playing.

A player who plays regular shifts on the power play or penalty kill will see a lot more ice time. Also, defensemen will generally log more ice time than a forward will.

2.3 miles per game is your typical average for a forward, while 2.8 to 3 miles per game is a decent number for defense.

Source(s): An issue of Popular Mechanics from the '60s... USA hockey's study of player-puck possession from 2002...