I MOVED OUT OF STATE AND LOST MY TITLE?

I move to NH from SC, sometime during the move I misplaced my title and want to sell it. Do I go to SC to get a replacement or can I do that in NH?

Favorite Answer

If you neveer registered your vehicle in NH, they have no record of you or your car. You will need to get a duplicate title from SC. Since the title is the legal document that you own the vehicle, you cannot sell it without signing off on the title.

Here is a link to the form you will need.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/400.pdf

The fee for the duplicate title is $15.00 and they appear to be able to expedite your request for an additional $20.00.

Good luck.

Source(s): Claims adjuster

You have to contact SC. You MAY be able to apply for a replacement by mail with the correct forms.

Probably cannot do it in NH because for all they know, you gave the title to a title pawn place and didn't pay it off.

Kristy, as usual, does not have the first clue. Im not sure why she is here. She gives wrong answers all the time.

You have to contact the state in which the title is registered and request a replacement.

you should be able to do it in new hampshire, you'll need to request a lost title, but they may have to contact your other bmv where they have record of you in the system, or if you still have proof of insurance on the vehicle that might work as well. mostly you just need something with that vehicles vin number and your name on it to prove to the bmv that you didnt steal it.

you have to go back to NH to get a duplicate title

• Roz

I think you can do that. You can get the necessary info off of the white registration slip that you keep in the glove compartment.