Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

In America, how come we never learn about Canada or hear Canadian news?

I've always wondered about this. I'm 16 and we only learned about the people who crossed the Bering Strait, the Niagara Falls, and Newfoundland. How come we learn so much about other places but not about our big neighbor up there? And I never hear Canada being reported about on the news.. and I watch the news like all the time.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As a way of summarizing (spelled the Canadian way) some of the excellent answers you have already received, the U.S. has a "superiority complex" and so many aspects of U.S. society, from news broadcasters, to textbook editors to government policy makers think that what happens outside U.S. borders barely matters. Since Canada is not hostile towards the U.S., we don't matter.

An excellent but simple example of the superiority complex is that, even though I'm logged into Yahoo Canada, the built-in spell checker flags the word "summarizing" as a spelling mistake, even though it's a perfectly correct spelling in British and Canadian dictionaries.

But, as a 16-year old who has posed this question, congratulations. You are starting to think about what you are being fed in school and on TV. The information is out there - you just can't be passive and wait for it to be fed to you. If you want to learn more about Canada or other countries, be pro-active and find the information yourself. And don't just rely on one source for your news. Seek out several sources and do some thinking about why the news might be different. For instance, one issue that you may have heard about after the Gulf oil disaster, is whether the U.S. should import more oil from Canada. People on one side of the issue refer to the oil extracted from the ground in Alberta as coming from "tar sands" and "dirty oil" while others more correctly refer to the process as "oil sands". But "tar sands" brings to mind a more unpleasant image than the expression "oil sands". It's all spin, intended to influence your position. Think also of the terms "pro-abortion", "pro-choice", versus "Pro-life" and "anti-abortion". Do your own critical thinking on all of the news that you hear.

Finally, encourage your parents to bring the family to Canada for a vacation so that you can form some of your own opinions from your own experiences.

Source(s): A proud Canadian, born in the U.S.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Excellent question.

I'm not sure you are going to like the answer. Anyway, plain and simple, here it is.

Journalism used to be an honorable profession, possibly the most honorable, apart from medicine.

Today, the "news" is mostly agitprop padded with a few things they pull off of Reuters.

Agitprop means propaganda designed to get you to believe, buy, accept, or reject something or somebody. It's like an advertisement, except not as honest.

With four notable exceptions NPR, PBS, BBC, CNN the news is brought to us by big greedy corporations, and they do have an agenda, and it's not about keeping us informed, or helping us cope with emerging realities. It's about manipulating us, so that we do what they want us to do.

The main function of the news is to shape our political views. All parties and all candidates pay thousands and millions and billions to influence the way our collective consciousness is shaped.

News editors today report to corporate bigshots.

They didn't used to. In the old days, before our national moral bankruptcy and decline into cash-based-post-human mere existence, news desks were quasi autonomous, if not completely autonomous.

At the Washington Post the news desk reported directly to the owner Catherine Graham.

But now, there are layer after layer of corporate bigshots (with golden parachutes and eight figure salaries) whose minds are deeply twisted by greed and selfishness for the news desks to report through. The Board only cares about cash, and really just cash now, this quarter. The shareholders are an ever shifting mass of non-entities who in fact neither know nor care at all. Most news sources are owned by a stack of nested corporations, so no shareholder has any stake in what they do.

Short Answer: The so-called "news" is actually just the manipulation of your brain by the predator class. That's why Canada, which should play a fairly large role in US news, plays none at all. Nobody in the predator class has any stake in Canada (unless they own shares of SUN). Canada comes under the category of "foreign" news so it has about the same coverage as East Bangla Desh, also a "foreign" place.

Source(s): Mentats, who are former journalists, are able to observe their prior profession with some discernment
  • Derail
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

That's a good question. I'm not sure why we don't hear much about other countries. I'm sure that only about 1 out of every 30 Americans could even tell you how many countries there are in the world. Maybe the answer is something like, the US news agencies are so used to filtering and selecting what they want to report - and in their own way, that other locations don't really concern them and they just won't do it.

• 1 decade ago

I've wondered about this myself. Maybe the authors of our history books are angry that the Tories fled the colonies for Canada after the Revolution.... I know the French Canadians are still a tad upset about it. It is kind of weird to study the US, including Alaska, and just forget about that big chunk of property separating the lower 48 from the 49th state.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • mackie
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

You sound very youthful. I even have voted for the dropping section too many cases to count variety and then suffered by administrations i did no longer like, yet then it somewhat is over and we've yet another risk. that's what our device is designed for. we've assessments and balances. yet once you extremely can not take it, make a catalogue of the topics that subject you so, then the countries that resolve those problems greater valuable, and choose which one solves the main of them suited, and be conscious for permission to bypass there, commence getting to understand the language, etc. How can somebody else answer your question for you, in case you haven't any longer extremely been very specific yet somewhat in basic terms sound unfavourable approximately Bush? besides, I took your question heavily, and that i desire you luck in resolving it, because of the fact if McCain could win, i'm hoping you reside and in simple terms be a efficient contributor to our society.

• 1 decade ago

1. Canada is a peaceful country.

2. The USA is perhaps the most self centered country on the earth.

• 1 decade ago

That is not necessarily a bad thing, as the saying goes no news is good news.

Canada is one of the most prestigious and respected countries in the world something we have lost here in the big ole US.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well the G8 and G20 just happened in Toronto didn't you hear about that? And the riots there with the invaders pretending to be protesters?

• 1 decade ago

nothing but moose spottings happen in Canada

• 1 decade ago

Not to much going on.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.