Do any other animals aside from human beings knowingly commit suicide?

Seems to be a rather big slip on our evolution there.

Oh no! I'm not having any problem with suicidal thoughts or friends. Just wondering, I mean it seems strange that at some point we rebelled against our base instincts to the point of suicide.

Favorite Answer

There is a writer named Derrick Jensen who writes in his book "A Language older than words" about a phenomena where animals will give themselves over to the predator in strange ways, perhaps realizing they cannot win. I read it a long time ago but I remember an example where some animal that has strong horns and uses them to fight and kill male competitors of his own species will not use them t defend himself with another animal who preys on him during a confrontation. I think the idea was that there is a natural law or order that even animals recognize. You should look it up, also "When Elephants weep" A book by a man name Jeffrey (can't remember his first name now) talks about observation of elephants mourning the loss of a lifetime friend or companion, being sad to the point of endangering themselves by not eating enough, or moving enough... only being helped by other elephants who come and make specific sounds and help the other elephant during that time. So I think "suicide" in some form has always been possible but perhaps not in the "individualistic" way we think of it now, and I would think in prehistory at least, and with peoples now who do not live in Industrial nations suicide is something that is prevented by social support with the group. There are exceptions. I am concerned why you are asking about suicide, perhaps a friend has passed or you are feeling sad? If you want to share anything else, you can. I believe that deep grief exists as a way to experience "salvation" by your fellow man, but our modern culture runs by money and so doesn't people are conditioned to look at sadness and grief in neurotic ways, so nothing stops the "money-making" show from going on. so to speak.

uncertain in case you may call it "suicide", because that often evinces some type of sentient means on the component of the guy committing suicide. it is, as a manner to dedicate "suicide", in the human experience, you may have the means to be self-conscious. Now, do animals carry out acts that would could be suicidal if executed on a human point? (no longer asserting that animals are not clever, so all the PETA individuals stay off my returned approximately this. purely answering the question.) particular. top occasion is unexplained "beaching" via whales and dolphins. different events that are relatively self-unfavorable usually comprise those surrounding mating, which includes salmon swimming upstream to spawn, and then they die, besides as some animals that would combat to the dying to preserve a mate. So, particular, from a relatively oblique attitude, animals can dedicate self-unfavorable acts that would verge on suicidal, if carried out via a human. wish it enables.

Lemmings have been mentioned. These are the only animals I can think of whose acts are suicidal.

Whether they know it or not is unclear.

Humans are the only animals (as far as I know) that are aware they will die. We are unique in that we can choose to live or die. Most animal vigorously and instinctively strive to remain alive. I don't think that stems from any knowledge of death, however. It is a self-preservation instinct.

Sometimes whales beach themselves but I don't think its to commit suicide.

Lemmings jump off cliffs, I don't know if they knowingly do it though

• Sc0pe

not that i know of tho some animals follow others off a cliff