Tyler
Tyler asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Have you noticed that almost every country in the world has been part of Europe at some point of their history?

Pretty much the whole world, except China, Japan....well, that's it I guess.

Countries declared independent from

UK/Kingdom of GBR(55):

Afganistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Egypt, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya,Kiribati, Kuwait, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Myanmar, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, USA, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

France(22): Algeria, Benin, Burkina faso, Cameroon, Campodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Guinea, Haiti, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Senegal, Togo, Tunisia, Vanuatu, Vietnam.

Spain:(17) Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costarica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Morocco, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Venezuela

Russia(n empire)/Soviet Union(17): Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia(twice), Lithuania, Moldova, North Korea, Poland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan

Portugal(8): Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Timor, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Oman, Sao tome and Principe

Netherlands(3): Belgium, Indonesia, Suriname

Belgium(3): Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda,

Italy(3): Somalia, Eritrea, Libya

• Best Answer

Ah .... Hong Kong, China was a British colony until quite recently.

h

Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the First Opium War (1839–42).

Originally confined to Hong Kong Island, the colony's boundaries were extended in stages to the Kowloon Peninsula and the New Territories by 1898.

It was occupied by Japan during the Pacific War, after which the British resumed control until 1997, when China regained sovereignty.

Actually you left out quite few that at one time was part of the British Empire.

It's not your fault.

I had no idea either until I happened upon this site.

It blew me away.

I was so impressed that I wrote to the owner of the site, he's a retired college professor.

Check out this list of former British holdings;

http://www.originofnations.org/British_Empire/The%...

To name a few .....

British Palestine, occupied 1917, mandate 1921, independent 1948

British Qatar, protectorate 1916, independent 1971

British Burma, 1826 (Arakan) 1852 (Lower Burma) 1886 (Upper Burma), independent 1948 (Myanmar 1991)

This one started a WAR back in the early 1980's!

British Falkland Islands, 1765

South Sandwich Islands, 1775, separate from Falklands 1985

South Georgia, 1775, separate from Falklands 1985

EDIT ***pheeca***

The UK has held possession of Afghanistan on FIVE different ocassions for a period of over 60 years.

First Afghan War 1838-1842

Second Afghan War 1878-1880

Protectorate 1880-1921

Third Afghan War 1919-1921

Soviet Russian occupation 1979-1989

You may reference the Anglo–Afghan Wars and British 40 years long occupation of Afghanistan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Afghan_war

Concerning Spain, you're missing

- Southern half of Italy + Sicily + Milan

- Austria

- Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg

- Philippines

- Portugal and portuguese colonies

- A huge part of the States

- Western Sahara

• I see Sweden is missing from your list. I know they had some African colonies.

As for your question, Europeans are inherently greedy and evil as a people and feel entitled to that which isn't theirs. They believe they have "God Given" authority over the world. I can't wait for China to take over and give Europe a taste of it's own medicine. When Europe is left at the mercy of China, they'll finally understand what they've done to the world. They need a lesson in humility. big time.

It was Europe, in the times of Empire building, being at a time when it was possible to travel further in the vessels created...

And obviously an urge to be greater & richer than the nation next door!!

.

I think you're mistaken vast parts of China and Asia where invaded and conquered by Alexandria.

You're wise. You left out Bangladesh, because it got independence from Pakistan.

I personally dislike some of the European monarchs specially that BRitish whorish low cast so called royal family since they tried to destroy other religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and tried to forcefully convert everyone in to stupid chrstianity!

You left out the US which was previously colonized by Britain, France, Spain and Russia.

Europe rules (or rulled) the world, man.

I Invite all to visit my Youtube channel anout Brazil:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AllAboutBrazil#g/p

Afghanistan was never ruled by British or anyother country when ever anyone tried to take over it, Afghan destroyed that country!