Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

what is the difference between Il mio nome è X and Io mi chiamo X?

Grazie

• andrew
    Best Answer

"il mio nome è ___" is the literal translation of "my name is ___", but Italians don't really say this. I would compare this way of saying it to something like "state your name for the record", where you would have to declare "My name is John Smith".

"Mi chiamo ___" means "I call myself" and this is how Italians usually say "My name is ___". With this sentence, you're telling them "You can call me ___", so you can introduce yourself using a nickname, for instance.

You don't need to say the "io" in "io mi chiamo" because the verb and the reflexive pronoun both indicate that "I" is the subject.

• In general, both mean "My name is ..." in English.

Exactly, Il mio nome è is "My name is ..." while Io mi chiamo is "I call myself because mi chiamo comes from the reflexive verb chiamarsi. In Spanish, French and Italian (maybe Portuguese too), they use the reflexive verb "to call oneself" for ...name is ....

Je m'apelle

Yo me llamo

Io mi chiamo

• susann

I always spend my half an hour to read this blog's posts daily along with a mug of coffee.

• tresa

I think it depends

There's none. Both mean 'My name is' or 'I am'.