Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 10 years ago

Does LYNYRD SKYNIRD diss NEIL YOUNG in Sweet Home Alabama? Or are they just joking around and poking fun?

The lyrics "well i hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyway" is this just a joke or are they really beefin' with Neil Young who had a song called Southern Man.

• Favorite Answer

They are dissing Neil Young. If you look further into the lyrics, there is a verse:

"In Birmingham they love the governor

Now we all did what we could do

Now Watergate does not bother me

Does your conscience bother you?

Tell the truth "

What governor would this be other than George Wallace, who said "segregation now, segregation tomorrow and segregation forever"? The funny thing is I heard a more recent recording from a reunion tour that omitted this verse, as if the band changed their tune (no pun intended), and so I would say they originally meant it.

It's just sad that the Skynard racist song was so much more catchy than the Neil Young anti-racism song that prompted it.

It definitely is a diss on Neil Young.

It is just how Alabama was at the time. It has changed quite a bit. I was born and raised there and it isn't a bunch of hicks and Klan members....anymore....lol.

Neil Young thought it was a good song

Yes. It's a direct challenge to Young's scathing commentary about the South in "Southern Man" I bet you thought that dissing other artists was limited to Hip Hop/Rap. :-)

There are basically a pair of hundred distinctive variations of candy domicile Chicago, the place are something of the hyperlinks, guy? i like different Skynyrd songs greater beneficial, so my determination is obviously candy domicile Chicago.