? asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 9 years ago

If I have my 'Engineer In Training' but no engineering degree will I be considered for the same positions?

What I have in the title basically says it.

I am currently finishing my environmental science degree (with focus on physical sciences: chemistry, geology, etc.), so I have the mind to be an engineer - I will have no trouble in finishing my exams to put me on par with an environmental engineering graduate.

So I can write my exams through the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (the ones they deem I will be lacking after completion of my degree) after which I will be granted my E.I.T. (engineer in training). I was just wondering what you guys think of this, if there are any employers on here it would be a definite plus!!!

I am just wondering, is it that once you get the E.I.T. you are on par with everyone else with it, or will my educational background put me at a disadvantage.

If anyone has any insight it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

ICU, and everyone else, thanks for your reply. My question to ICU is this, when you say back up and get your P.Eng. your life will be complete, do you mean back up and get my undergrad in eng. or just keep going and get my P.Eng. (I can theoretically get it both ways), I'm just wondering about my marketability?

• Greg
    Best Answer

I don't know how professional registration works in Canada but in the US you need to have an ABET-accredited engineering degree in order to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and thus earn your EIT. I don't know if Canada requires you to have a specific degree from an accredited program but that might short-circuit your plans.

Also, having a good scientific knowledge doesn't mean you'll have a mind for design. Keep in mind that engineers and scientists are related but not the same. The difference is in application. You can take all of the physical sciences courses available, but may not be able to complete an engineering design or know how to read a drawing. Engineering involves the practical application of scientific principles to solve problems. While your fundamentals will be strong in the physical sciences, it's hard to say that it will directly translate to engineering problem solving.

So I see two problems:

If you don't have an accredited engineering degree you may not be able to earn your EIT designation, and you probably won't have as strong a background in the engineering problem solving process to make you an attractive candidate for a job.

My advice is if you really want to go into engineering, go to graduate school and earn your master's degree, even if its a coursework-based degree, that way you can solve both those above problems.

Good luck.

The problem your going to face is that your on the Theoretical side of the Science spectrum rather then the Applied side which is your (Engineering) ....I know some Physicists majors who are as knowledgeable as engineers ........but i also know some Chemistry,and Biology, Majors who have a blank slate when it comes to anything that engineers do .....so it depends ..........For the most part Environmental scientists work with Civil Engineers... But CE majors take surveying, Statics,Fluid mechanics,ect.......unless you took any Engineering Classes I doubt you would be considered for the same exact position but you most likely would be working in close proximity to a lot of Engineers

• ICU

Man, you hit a nerve. Yes, do the EIT, spend your time, get P.E. backup and get the damned P.E. license! Your life will be complete!

Source(s): E.E. and wish the hell I would have taken my advice!