If I have my 'Engineer In Training' but no engineering degree will I be considered for the same positions?

What I have in the title basically says it.

I am currently finishing my environmental science degree (with focus on physical sciences: chemistry, geology, etc.), so I have the mind to be an engineer - I will have no trouble in finishing my exams to put me on par with an environmental engineering graduate.

So I can write my exams through the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (the ones they deem I will be lacking after completion of my degree) after which I will be granted my E.I.T. (engineer in training). I was just wondering what you guys think of this, if there are any employers on here it would be a definite plus!!!

I am just wondering, is it that once you get the E.I.T. you are on par with everyone else with it, or will my educational background put me at a disadvantage.

If anyone has any insight it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Usually, the larger the firm, the more fussy they can be about the educational details especially if they are taking people without experience. At such firms, it might be a disadvantage. One solution is to go with a smaller firm doing similar projects and gain some experience, then try for larger firms.