Why want my boat engine turn off with the key?

I have replaced the key switch and the engine will not shut off by turning the key to the off position can someone help me please.

Best Answer

The engine is killed by grounding the ignition.....there are 2 black wires in the cable that go to different terminals. Check the switch that you replaced, and make sure it's wired correctly, then go to the motor and make sure you have continuity on the other end of the wiring harness. I've seen problems from overheating (shorts) in the cable. Also where it attaches to the ignition could be loose/failed.

• jtexas

you may have wired the switch incorrectly.

if you have an outboard built any time after the mid-70's, there's a black wire w/yellow tracer that needs to be connected to ground in order to shut the motor off. On the keyswitch it should be on a raised terminal labled "M". There should be another terminal "M", with a plain black ground wire attached. If your keyswitch wiring looks like I described, and the motor still doesn't shut off, the black/yellow kill wire has an open circuit fault somewhere along it's length.

If your motor is other than as I described, somebody else will have to help you, but they can't because they don't know what engine your boat has.

the cable that runs from the motor to the switch may be bad

If it runs rough, then you need a tune up. If it runs smooth (idles) then it's electrical.