Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaDarwin · 10 years ago

Is 60K job offer enough to live in Darwin or Alice Springs Australia?

2yr contract/job offer includes flights, shipping, 1month car (then buy my own), 3months rent (then find my own but rent seems so high), 6weeks vacation. I don't have any idea if 60k is enough to live reasonably well (not fancy lifestyle) or allow me to save at all. Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I have been living in Alice Springs for a few months now. Our family income is a 90k, but there are four of us to support (2 adults and 2 kids). We have a nice lifestyle and manage to save a little as well. So it depends if you have any other dependents as to whether 60k will be enough?

Rent is very high here, but a 3 month cover is a great start for you. After that, if you want your own place it will be expensive, but house shares are a lot cheaper. Just be aware that there's A LOT of competition for them.

It also depends what you like doing/spending your money on. A lot of the things to do in and around Alice are free or very cheap - eg bushwalking, camping, etc. So you might not need that much spending money anyway.

Hope that helps a little.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Penela
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I live in Darwin and stayed in Alice Springs for 3 months to work.

Alice Springs is a very expensive place to live. Houses to buy and rent are expensive, also we in the Northern Territory pay more for electricity than any other state. Have a look at real estate websites and check out the average rent. If most of your pay is going to be chewed up in rental, then it's not worth your while.

• Brooky
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

600k wouldn't be enough to get me to live in Alice Springs.

Accommodation costs and the general cost of living are high in Darwin - you'll live reasonably well on 60k, but will be unlikely to have anything much left over.

• 10 years ago

Darwin and Alice Springs are both quite expensive places to live. $60k seems not much.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Wouldn't be anywhere near enough to entice me to the top end ! I was there in the mid 60s & can remember seeing plums in a shop way back then for $1 EACH ! lol

Source(s): J...
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.