Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaDarwin · 10 years ago

Is 60K job offer enough to live in Darwin or Alice Springs Australia?

2yr contract/job offer includes flights, shipping, 1month car (then buy my own), 3months rent (then find my own but rent seems so high), 6weeks vacation. I don't have any idea if 60k is enough to live reasonably well (not fancy lifestyle) or allow me to save at all. Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

I have been living in Alice Springs for a few months now. Our family income is a 90k, but there are four of us to support (2 adults and 2 kids). We have a nice lifestyle and manage to save a little as well. So it depends if you have any other dependents as to whether 60k will be enough?

Rent is very high here, but a 3 month cover is a great start for you. After that, if you want your own place it will be expensive, but house shares are a lot cheaper. Just be aware that there's A LOT of competition for them.

It also depends what you like doing/spending your money on. A lot of the things to do in and around Alice are free or very cheap - eg bushwalking, camping, etc. So you might not need that much spending money anyway.

Hope that helps a little.

• Penela

I live in Darwin and stayed in Alice Springs for 3 months to work.

Alice Springs is a very expensive place to live. Houses to buy and rent are expensive, also we in the Northern Territory pay more for electricity than any other state. Have a look at real estate websites and check out the average rent. If most of your pay is going to be chewed up in rental, then it's not worth your while.

• Brooky

600k wouldn't be enough to get me to live in Alice Springs.

Accommodation costs and the general cost of living are high in Darwin - you'll live reasonably well on 60k, but will be unlikely to have anything much left over.

Darwin and Alice Springs are both quite expensive places to live. $60k seems not much.

Wouldn't be anywhere near enough to entice me to the top end ! I was there in the mid 60s & can remember seeing plums in a shop way back then for $1 EACH ! lol

Source(s): J...