but when i turn it off 1 click up its gone

which is the proper way?

Update:

i wouldnt have asked but the car dont have those marks on it

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

if you turn it all the way counter clockwise, you have the switch in the accessory position which is why they clock is on.

The off position is what you say is "one click up". You want to be in the off position

Source(s): 31 years in the auto business
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Actually, on some cars, you would turn the key all the way towards you and the clock would still be on. Then it would turn off after a little bit. If one click up, for you, turns off the clock, radio, and power to the battery, then that is the correct way

• don r
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Rotate the key the opposite direction from what you do to start the car until the key will come out of the lock and the steering wheel can lock in place. That's if this car is less than 30 years old and American made.

• 9 years ago

If you can remove the key from the ignition lock then the car is off. The clock on many cars will turn off a few seconds to a few minutes after you exit the car or as soon as the car door is opened.

Good Luck!

Source(s): Me
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John M
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Does the key pull out in more than one position? If not, the only position from which you can remove the key is the right one. But, if the key will come out in more than one spot, try the method that one of the other posters suggested, go as far left as you can, and then move one click to the right.

Source(s): I'm way old and have driven way too many cars
  • 9 years ago

all the way back is accessory, which if u can pull the keys out on this setting itll drain the battery,, my truck will let me take the keys out with the key tumbler all the way down, but in the moring my battery is dead,, pull the key then wiggle the chamber till the radio goes off,, u can get a new key tumbler for like 25 bucks,, some are realy easy to change if u ever wanted to fix it,,,Art

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There should be only ONE way to turn the engine off and be able to remove the key. Try ALL of the positions to see just which one allows you to do this.

• 9 years ago

To listen to the radio without lighting the dashboard? Just turn the key all the way to the left. At least on most cars.

• 3 years ago

a fashionable motor vehicle makes use of roughly 30 seconds of gas to restart. while you're stopped for greater beneficial than 2 minutes, you're a wasteful clod letting your motor idle. I even have seen a line of automobiles take a seat quarter-hour waiting for a prepare to bypass, many drivers sitting idling, some nevertheless in kit with foot on brake. i might prefer to smuck each and every physique of them upside the top. Many drivers pull as much as 7-11 and leave the motor vehicle working on a similar time as entering into to purchase smokes. They need to have their automobiles stolen and overwhelmed. human beings leaving their automobiles idling on a similar time as waiting various minutes for a particular order at thepersistent-by ought to be shot. some distance too many human beings have not got the experience they have been born with. as some distance because of the fact the remark with reference to the reefer trucks, it truly is ludicrous, because of the fact the reefer would not use the motor vehicle engine to take a seat back, it has a separate unit that runs independant of the engine. Shutting the motor vehicle off for a jiffy doesn no longer reason toddlers and canines to tutor into corpsicles in wintry climate, or into sticky goo in summer. whether, a youthful infant in hands, or a ill elderly guy or woman can, and could, be an exemption. yet, a precise clothed infant would not freeze while walked out to that motor vehicle at 40 below 0, so why might it freeze in the motor vehicle because it cools down in basic terms some tiers? What do you think of human beings did before automobiles had heaters and air conditioners? Shutting the motor vehicle off for a wait of below 2 minutes is stupid, of path.

• 9 years ago

If you can take the keys out of the ignition, it's off. Plain and simple. On a newer car. On any car, if nothing is lit up on the dash, then it's off.

Source(s): 30 plus years of working on cars.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.