Question about installing Windows 7 Operating System?

So about a week ago, I completely wiped my hard drive clean with a program called DBAN. Before the wipe, I had a Windows Vista operating system on my PC. I'm pretty sure Vista was the default system on the PC. Well, I want to purchase Windows 7 and install it on my computer so I can get up and running again. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll need to buy the FULL Windows 7 Operating System..correct? And then if I do so, it will install on my PC and I can use it again. Anything else I should do? Like I said, my hard drive is completely wiped..thanks.

Favorite Answer

You didnt have to wipe it, as Windows 7 can delete the partition and start fresh during the install routine.

You need to ensure you have all the hardware drivers ready, especially LAN, as once you start, you wont have internet and sound etc (it doesnt matter really now as you have nothing anyway). but you will need those to ensure a fully installed system.

Yeah you need the full version of Windows 7. You really shouldn't have wipe the whole drive because Windows 7 would have let you installed to OS and it would erase everything but it would have saved your drivers. Now you have to find the drivers for your hardware because you wont have sound or internet and if you have a graphics card it will use your onboard video because the graphic card doesn't have the driver.

Look for the OEM version, you'll save a little money.

You can't use the upgrade since you nuked your computer's hard drive and the old OS.

Don't be surprised when you find out there's not very much difference between Win7 and Vista.