720p Editing Laggy On Adobe After Effects?

My computer build:

Phenom II 955 BE 3.2GHZ (quad core)

4gb DDr3 Ram 1600MHZ

FILES ARE ON A 128 GB SSD INTEL

Gtx 470

Why is adobe after effects laggy? Im getting 15-20 fps when previewing my videos. Anyone can help?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Glenn
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

AE is for small sections of your video (just a few seconds that you apply an effect to). You need to lower the quality to 1/4 and lower the screen size to 50 or 25%.

Source(s): Premiere Pro, After Effects pro, Final Cut Pro, Avid Express pro
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Lynne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

First off, you should know that After Effects is not a video editing app. It is a compositing app. Adobe Premiere is the editing app. A compositor is for adding effects to small sections of your video project. You would bring in a 3 - 5 second clip into AE, add an effect and render it and send it back to Premiere. Ideally, you use both apps if you want to do real editing. As far as whether it is good...it is very widely used by pros and hobbyists. It's not easy to learn to use if you use it properly.(anyone who tells you it's easy, doesn't really know what it's capable of and they probably use it as video editor again, which it is not.). AE is a RAM hog and that's why it's for very small sections of a video rather than a whole video. The diff between AE and AE CS6. Nothing. Like all apps, including Adobe, these apps went from having numbers like 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, pro..to the CS (Creative Suites) numbering. Version 6 is the most recent. If you haven't used it, you won't miss anything from an earlier version. It'll take you a while to learn to use it for even basics (months possibly) and you learn what you need. There's really nothing in an earlier version that you can't really do anything you would need to do. Also, you can get an earlier version for cheaper on eBay.

• 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure all previews do that. They're lower quality and lower frame rate.

• 10 years ago

See this page for several ways to improve performance in After Effects:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.