How to use remote access on Macbook Pro?

I have a Macbook pro with which I am trying to access a remote desktop from a secure website. Unfortunately whenever I attempt to connect to the desktop I get the following error message:

Your OS/platform is not supported for this component.

The website/remote access is provided by Juniper Networks. Does anyone know of a solution that is not going to need a Windows OS installation?

Thank you in advance.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

I was getting at "remote access" is a very general term.

Microsoft loosely uses the the term "Windows Remote Access" and it variously applied to any one of these 3: Remote Dialup, VPN, or Remote Desktop. Third-party Windows partners also use the term for some products, for example: Citrix, BackToMyPC, etc.

Assuming that you mean one or more of the basic three Windows Remote Access methods...

If you were using Windows RAS dialup, you need to purchase a USB modem for your Mac. Once you've installed the software for it, got to the System Preferences and click on Network. Under the list of network interfaces, click on the lock symbol, if locked, and provide the admin password. Next, click the "+" button and select your modem from the popup list. Next, provide the information on the right (phone number, username, password). Click on the "Advanced..." button for options related to the modem/dialing mode/volume/DNS/WINS/Proxies/PPP. Once provided, click "Connect" and the modem will dial and connect you.

If you aren't using RAS dialup, but are using the basic Windows VPN, the procedure is similar. At the network setup page, click the "+" symbol and select "VPN" from the popup list. Select the VPN type (whichever is being used by your office, L2TP or PPTP) and provide a thoughtful name for it (e.g., "Work VPN"). Once you click "OK", on the right you can specify the server address, account name, encryption type, and authentication settings. Clicking on the "Advanced..." button will bring up additional options, such as setting up VPN on-demand (connects whenever you attempt to access the specified domain). Your office may use certificates to authenticate, make sure that you have a copy of yours (provided by your IT group) ready.

If you are using Windows Remote Desktop, you may need to setup a VPN connection first (it depends on how your office is setup), as above. After that, you need to download an install Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2 from microsoft.com. After that's installed, simply start your VPN connection (if required) then double-click on the Remote Desktop Connection icon in the Applications folder. Provide your login information.

If you are using VPN software other than the basic Windows one at your office, you need to follow directions provided by the vendor.

If you are using something like Citrix, you'll need to download the Citrix client and follow the vendor's instructions on setting up the client.

If you are using a different remote access technology, refer to the documentation provided by the vendor or publicly available (such as SSH tunnel to a DMZ server).

• Ben
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

There are two main protocols used for remote access. The Remote Desktop Protocol can only connect to Windows machines. It's a Microsoft protocol but they have a viewer for Mac. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-deskt...

The second protocol is the cross-platform VNC. This is the protocol Mac and Linux use for the most part. It's actually included in OS X (screen sharing), and you can download both client and server VNC programs for Windows.

• 4 years ago

Some details here might help. Windows PC ports available? Wireless network? etc. Apple has advice...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.