AJ asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 decade ago

Elizabeth I ...also Queen of France?

So, there is something I have been pondering for a while now. I have a fairly intermediate education of the Tudor era and there's something I am confused about in the 1998 film "Elizabeth". During the coronation scene, Elizabeth is crowned and Bishop Carlisle says "I crown thee Elizabeth, Queen of England, Ireland and France"

Now, I am well aware that the film in question is notorious for historical inaccuracies, but I highly believe they would have gotten something like the coronation correct. England and Ireland I totally understand, but can anyone please inform me why she was crowned Queen of France as well since Henry II of France was on the throne at the time? Thank you

• Josh
    Favorite Answer

Well the English Kings had at various points ruled vast areas of France but technically they were vassal of the King of France in terms of their domains there. The first real claim to the French throne came from Edward III his mother was a Princess of France and under English law Edward would have inherited the throne of France but because France uses something called salic law he could not inherit the French throne under their laws.

The Kings of England would continue to claim this title and with the military success of Henry V and his son actually became Kings of France in both name and deed. However his son would eventually loose France and the original dynasty would be restored. However the English monarchs and later the British ones would continue to claim they were the rightful monarch of France until George III conceded the claim as part of a treaty.

Interestingly in the 60-70s one French leader almost considered offering Elizabeth the title of Queen of France and permit France to join the Commonwealth of Nations however it never came about due to British reluctance and France joined the European community.

Elizabeth's was crowned 15 January 1559. In 1564, she agreed to give up her claim to the last English possession on French soil, Calais, won by the English during the Hundred Years War, but she refused to give up her claim to the French Crown, which had been claimed by every English sovereign since the time of Edward III in the 14th century. Incidentally, George III was the last British sovereign to claim the throne of France.

Source(s): Elizabeth I of England Biography. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.biographybase.com/biography/Elizabeth_)...

English monarchs were still rather obstinately laying claim to the throne of France even though they had lost their last remaining French possession - Calais - during the reign of Mary I.

Elizabeth's distant ancestor Henry V had laid claim to the throne of France when he married the King of France's daughter. Before him, Edward III had also claimed to have a right to the French throne. In fact, France and england fought about this question intermitently for over a hundred years (the Hundred Years War as it is known now).

Portions of France had belonged to England for hundreds of years, for instance King Henry II of France married Eleanor of Aquitaine, whose duchy covered a sizeable portion of south-west France. But for various reasons, the Kings of england lost control of most of their French possession eventually.

Britain still controlled parts of france at that time, and henry of france owned other parts