How many of you would name your son Richard?

How many of you like the name Richard or think it's okay and you would name your son it? Not only do I like this name but it also has a very special meaning to because of someone. How can I convince my man to name our son Richard?

• Nina
    Favorite Answer

I LOVE the name Richard, its strong and masculine. Its ageless and sounds so professional for a grown up and cute for a child.

I dont think there is a problem with its nickname, because you choose the nickname you want for your child, or better you can insist on calling him Richard with no nickname.

Other names can be Rich, Richie, Ric/Rick, Rickie, Rico, Chad etc.

I think it is a nice sophisticated and classy name. Also, Richie is a great nickname for a little boy.

Richard is a very strong masculine name. I don't think you could go wrong with it. My husbands name is Richard and no one has ever called him ****.

I would tell your husband that it is a very special name to you. Tell him all the reasons you love it and let him choose the middle name.

I hope that helps a little! Best of luck : )

I think its a great name and I think its so immature to say that he'll be made fun of because of the nickname ****. **** has always been a nickname for Richard and its not a big deal. I have an Uncle **** and its not like...gross or funny its just his name. If he wants he can go by Rich or Richie or ****. Whatever.

It's a great name. Don't listen to these children that say its an awful name because of the nickname. Remember you're the mommy so you're the boss! Just tell him how much it means to you and try to get him to see why you like it.

• Tamsin

I wouldn't because I dislike the name. I mean, it's not a terrible name, I just don't like it or it's nickname options. It's too dated and boring to me. Maybe he'd be willing to use it as a middle name but, if not, you'll just have to set it aside since the baby name should be a mutual decision.

I personally like the name Richard too and since it means so much to you, tell your husband that and hopefully he understands. Also tell him something like if he lets you name your son Richard, he can name any of the other children you guys could have.

Also don't worry about people saying they are going to call him "****", I know a lot of Richard's and no one calls them ****.

I'm not a huge fan either, but I'm a big advocate of meaningful names so maybe use it as a middle name?

I know someone who called their son Richard Edward and he soooooo got teased. **** Ed was his nickname all the way through school!

I personally wouldn't just because it's a very commom man's name and I just don't particularly care for it. I don't like any of the nicknames that go with Richard either (Ricky & ****?!). But hey to each his own; if it has special meaning to you and you like it, go for it! It is a nice name, I just don't like it. Or you can make it a middle name and come to a compromise with your boyfriend/husband?

I absolutely would.

I think it's an extremely handsome name.

A potential stupid nickname isn't much of a deterrent - you can make fun of pretty much anything if you try.

Rich? Rick? I don't see what the problem is. Richard is a legit, classic name. He's not going to drown in the ever growing sea of Braedyn/Aaden/Jaydons.

• M.P.

Well, it's kind of a dated name, that's for sure - the kid's gonna be going to school with Dylans, Jaydens and Taylors & Jacobs - he's not gonna win any popularity contests with that name....but if it has a special meaning to you then go for it. Just don't call him Rich or ****! Try Ricky, that'd be cute. As far as convincing your husband, that will be tougher - you have make sure that he associates the name with something good, maybe look up some famous people with that name and show him that it can be cool and tough.

Richard is a good name . there is nothing wrong with it. I like a good classic name.