Written sound of a western gun reload?

Hi,

I'm making a comic for school and I was wondering what's the written sound of a gun reloading (a western rifle)?

Thanksin advance!

If possible, could you also tell me what would be a train whistling and an old western pistol firing?

Favorite Answer

I'm not the greatest at onomatopoeia but I'll give it a shot.

Western gun reloading: Well, it really depends on the action of the rifle (i.e. whether it's breech loading, break action, percussion lock, bolt action, etc) and the time period you're looking at. Generally speaking, breech loaders were the most common rifles during the late 19th century as the bolt-action was still in its infancy and percussion locks were old fashioned (but still abundant, particularly amongst the poor). While it sometimes varied by the rifle, most breach loaders required inserting a shell into the rear of the gun's barrel. After loading, the gun was closed and the action was set. As such, the sound would be a "tinning" sound when the ammunition was loaded and a firm "clack" once the gun was closed.

Western train whistle: As with weapons, the sound varied by the train but I've heard a couple of authentic 19th century steam locomotives in my life time. For the whistle, a sustained low-pitched "vroo-vroo" would suffice as would a more high pitched sustained "vreeeeeeeeeeeeeeew." They don't sound "too" much different from modern steam engines in this regard.

Old pistol firing: I'll simplify this one and just say you're firing a Colt Single-Action Army (aka the Peacemaker). The sound you'd hear from fiting this weapon would be a loud and quick "POOMB."

Creating good sound effects isn't an exact science but as I've heard these sounds before, the suggestions I've given are the best I can suggest.

It might work for a movie plot, but it's nothing to really bet on. There are too many variations in magazine capacity to count, "14, 15.... done". Recognize his Glock 19, but miss the fact that he installed a "+2 rounds" aftermarket floorplate and it could be a problem. Reloads might have taken a while with single-action revolvers that John Wayne used in westerns, but that isn't usual choice these days. Also, I believe the tv show, NCIS:LA did it right when the guy's rifle went dry and he let it drop on its sling and drew his pistol. Not much time in there to do much to "the guy with the empty rifle". For most "tricks" there's a counter.

Reload Gun Sound