MacBook Pro hard drive solid-state or ATA drive?

I'm buying a MacBook Pro soon and I was wondering what is the difference between the solid state drives and the ATA drives? I'm trying to figure out which one would be best to get, either the 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm or the 256GB Solid State Drive. I'm a film student so I need a good amount of of hard drive space for large video files.

Also does anyone happen to know if you can place an order online through Apple's online store and then actually pick it up in an Apple Store location, instead of having it shipped?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

First question's answer: SATA (Serial ATA) is great, cheap, reliable, and fast (especially the 7200 rpm, I have one in my laptop). SSD (Solid State Drive) hard drives are more energy efficient, substantially faster for file access, far more reliable when it comes to hard rive "crashing", produce less heat, and run a lot quiter than a SATA drive (SATA drives spin). I would recommend the SSD optino if you can afford it, mainly because that's my personal preference. If you decide to get the SATA hard drive, get it because of space. Otherwise, get the SSD. You may not notice the true difference, but your files are going to be safer with an SSD hard drive.

Second question's answer: Yes, you can schedule a pickup at a local Apple store. I haven't doen it, but I'm sure you can schedule it via the checkout process.

Source(s): Owner and user of both SSD and SATA drives.
  • Mark B
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

The Solid State Drive is quieter, a little faster, uses less energy, is immune to magnets, and is more resilient against physical damage. However, it is immensely more expensive and doesn't offer as much room.

If you are generally a careful person the Serial ATA HDD should be perfectly sufficient, and as a film student I think you will benefit from the extra space.

Remember to buy an external drive for backup!

• 9 years ago

solid states are a LOT more expensive however they are faster and far more reliable.. they also handle vibration a lot better...

ata are cheaper...

so it depends on your pocket book... if you are only going with one hard drive get the ata drive... you can't get enough room on a solid state for the cost involved....

if you are going with two drives.. put the operating system and system files on a solid state drive.. and your data on an ATA drive... give you good speed and lots of storage both.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.