Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 10 years ago

What is the name of this insect?

Its a flying Insect with legs, red eyes, the body is all black and has a red/orange V on its lower back. I live in southern ontario and they seem to swarm my house around this time every year. Any Ideas?

Favorite Answer

I believe they are called box elder bugs - we live in Atlanta and they tend to congregate on the sunny walls of our house. They are harmless as far as I know - if too many gather I spray the walls with insecticide. Come cold weather they disappear. Here's a link:

I did some searching, but without a photo I can't be much help. However, I did find a great website with photos of insects that have been identified, as well as an option to upload your own photo to have it identified for you.

http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Questions/What%20...

Hope this helps.

That would be a BOX ELDER bug. You must have a Box Elder tree near by. Mild solution of dish soap in a spray bottle. Spray around outside of your house.

Source(s): JUST KNOWLEDGE.

an arthopodicatrex