Brooke
Brooke asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Desperately looking for some good series/books to read?

Hello, all. I'm in a book rut, that is to say I can't seem to find anything I am interested in reading that isn't running amok with vampires. I prefer series, so that I may dive into a world that isn't short lived, and also because it creates more books for me to read. I tend to read rather fast, and I'd like a huge list to choose from that will occupy me for quite some time. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I do read young adult, partly because I just simply enjoy them and partly because I also write in the young adult category. I will list what I have read below so no one will suggest those. Thanks :)

Have read:

*The Shifters

*The Mortal Instruments

*Evernight

*Twilight

*Harry Potter

*The Summoning

*House of night (and not interested to read anymore)

*The Hunger Games

*Gemma Doyle

*Fallen series

*Hush, Hush

*Beautiful Creatures

*Immortal series

*The Hollow series

Books I do not want to read, period:

*Anything vampire related - enough is enough

*Percy Jackson

And I'm sure there are more. As you can see, these are the series I tend to draw towards, so anything similar to those would be great - omitting vampires of course. Thanks! I know it's a big list. Sorry

I did read Clockwork Angel already, thanks :)

Favorite Answer

Here's a few. I know that you said you didn't want to read Vampire, but the one series I included is AMAZING. Better written then the Twilight series- it totally keeps you hooked. At least give the first book a try, would you?

*Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead)

*Flavia de Luce series (Alan Bradley)

*Murder on the Orient Express (Agatha Christie)

*Any books by Jessica Day George (Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow and Dragon slippers series are recommended)

*Mother-Daughter Book Club series (Heather Vogel Frederick)

*Fever 1793 (Laurie Halse Anderson- a lot of her other books are great too)

*Olive's Ocean (Kevin Henkes)

*Kiss the Dust (Karen Hesse)

*The Uglies series (Scott Westerfield- I must admit, I found the last book a bit boring, but the rest are great)

*Julie of the Wolves (sorry, I don't remember the author)

*My side of the Mountain (ditto- but it is a great book!)

*Uprising and Running out of Time (both by Margaret Peterson Haddix)

Hope this helps you find some good ones. Happy reading! And if all else fails... well, just read the Hunger Games series over again!

A variety: Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver Love in the Present Tense, Catherine Ryan Hyde The Art of Racing in the Rain, Garth Stein Sleep Toward Heaven, Amanda Eyre Ward The Help, Kathryn Stockett The Saints, Orson Scott Card The Eight, Katherine Neville

• moof

From your list, I've only read Harry Potter and one of the Twilight books (I think it was the third or fourth), so honestly, I don't have a good grasp of what you're looking for -- especially so because I suck at distinguishing genres, so some of these might not even be young adult, but, like, meant for kids or something. But, hey, I'll try. Let's see, young adult stuff that comes to mind:

- The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathon Stroud. Fantasy. Adventure, some humor.

- Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Fantasy. Dunno, some humor.

- The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. Dystopian, sci-fi.

- His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. Um.. adventure.. fantasy..? Been a long, long time, don't remember.

- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. ..Humor. Maybe some adventure?

- The Time Quartet series by Madeleine L'Engle. Uh.. adventure, fantasy.

- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Adventure. Yeah. And fantasy? Lots of adventure.

- The Abarat series by Clive Barker, though I've only read the first. Fantasy. Hell, fantastical's a better word, it's rather surreal.

- Redwall series by Brian Jacques. Adventure. ..And fantasy, I guess, by way of being about talking animals..

- The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. Fantasy, adventure.

- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, and its predecessor The Hobbit. Adventure, fantasy.

- Various Tamora Pierce series. Uh.. adventure, maybe.

Artemis Fowl Series - Eoin Colfer

The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis

Rowan of Rin Series - Emily Rodda

The Tomorrow Series - John Marsden

The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

The Immortals quartet by Tamora Pierce

The Werewolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater

Howl's Moving Castle (and its 2 sequels) by Diana Wynne Jones

The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews

The Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh

The Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong

The League series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

The Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs

Ecstasia and Primavera by Francesca Lia Block

• Unkurg

For an interesting series of well-written books check out the "Aloysius Pendergast" series of novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Start with "The Relic", and then go from there to "The Cabinet of Curiosities", and then go in order from there. There are also a series of stand-alone novels by the same authors which are also very good. Recommended.

Pretty Little Liars- Sara Shepord

Lottery Rose

Last Song-Nicholas Sparks

These aren't YA books but they are fantasy series which seems to go along with the theme of books you liked.

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files Series

Karen Miller --- ANYTHING by her. She also writes under the name K.E. Mills. My favorite series of hers was the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series and I love the Fisherman's Children series so far.

I was thinking Kim Harrison-- but there's a vamp supporting character-- and you said no vamps-- the main character is a witch though.

Umm..

Mysteries:

Janet Evanovich-- Stephanie Plum novels or the "Full" Series.

Jennifer Lee Carrell-- Interred With Their Bones and Haunt Me Still. --Awesome books though she is just starting her series/newer author.

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

Evil Genius - Catherine Jinks

I know exactly the series for jumping in, swimming, and immersing yourself in-Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series-I seriously..want to live there. badly. It's so real and superbly done, and there's rather a lot so you will be feeding on delicious words for quite a little while..I'm hooked, and will be restarting the series soon, because just thinking about them now makes me want to enjoy them again=) have fun!