Future job prospects for civil engineers?

What does the future hold in store for civil engineers? And engineers in general?

I have heard of good job prospects from the news but also outsourcing. What's the truth?

Can anyone in the field fill me in on this? I am quite curious in the California region and would like to know first hand accounts from the actual engineers themselves, rather than the U.S. Bureau of Labor.

• Mark M
    Best Answer

There always is a need for engineers. One time they proposed a tax credit for engineers in Iowa because they create things, and surtax on lawyers because they do nothing.

We get to create things, fix things, and have a little control over our work lives. We almost never punch a time clock or worry about our 15 minute break.

Engineers make more money than most people, we also have half the unemployment rate of the general population. Salaries for Civil can start out at 50k, but I know some civil making $100/hr designing nuclear power plants.

Civil Engineering is one area where you can earn loads of money. You may earn on the lower side compared to other Engineers in the initial stages of your career but you can offset it by extremely good pay at a later stage of your life. So enjoy your studies and be assured of a rewarding career.