babyboo_17 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What are the prices of puppies/dogs in the humane society?

I have decided to adopt a dog or puppy (most likely a puppy though) from the humane society. But. I was just curious if anyone could tell me roughly how much they would charge me to get a puppy or dog at the humane society. I live in Windsor, ON. I tried going to the site, but they don't have prices or anything on there. So can someone please help? Thank you~

Favorite Answer

This one? http://windsorhumane.org/index.php?option=com_cont... Prices are right there on the Adoption info page.

You should call your local Humane Society. It varies. Here it's something like $200-$300. But we also have four rescues in our area, and the prices vary among the four.

Edit: While you may find a puppy at a shelter, chances are, probably not. Puppies don't stay long, and are usually already claimed before they arrive..meaning the waiting list for puppies is a mile long. Adult dogs are the ones that don't usually find homes, so they get euthanized.

My Beagle in the picture..she was a rescue dog. She was a former puppy mill mama. We got her when she was 10 years old. I don't know how much she was. She was rescued at 5 years old, and then the person who adopted her gave her to us. She was at the Humane Society when they guy got her.

This dog was not quite a year old when we got her. We thought she was an adult, but the vet said she was maybe 10 months old. http://www.flickr.com/photos/36817391@N05/42784735... She's no longer with us. Don't know how much she was. We got her in 1989.

This dog is one of our two current dogs. He was 2 when we got him. http://www.flickr.com/photos/36817391@N05/47437835... We got him a year and a half ago. He was $200, and came fixed.

• papaw

Generally it's just a re-homing fee and an included discounted spay/neutering fee. This is generally around 100.00 or less. If the rescued dog has had some heavy vet bills as a part of it's becoming adoptable, some shelters will include part of that fee, as well. But even at that most ALL these dogs are a bargain!

Papaw

Where I live at the humane society its like $75-$100 for an adult and $200 for a puppy.

At the animal shelter it is $200 for an adult and $250-$300 for a puppy.

• Ocimom

It would vary somewhat depending on the age of the puppy/dog, if they needed to neuter/spay and any other health issues that needed to be cared for. It could range from $75 - $250 dollars. I've seen a lot of variation on Petfinder on the prices of the shelter dogs.

I donate my time to shelters assessing dogs and working with issues. Almost always the dog is the price of all the shots a dog must have. I trained dogs for over 20 years and ran a rottweiler rescue. I can honestly say that the best dog I ever met, and kept, was dropped off at my doorstep because she was 87 pounds at 7 months old and she wouldn't let anyone pet her without a deep throaty growl. I found out that she was injured. After she healed everyone I knew begged me to breed her because she had the best temperament of any dog I, or they, ever met, including the dog officer in my town. She had one litter before I fixed her and then there were five of the happiest dog owners I ever knew in Gloucester, MA. Often times shelter dogs are the best dogs. I got the second best dog I ever owned from a shelter in Worcester, Ma. for only 140.00 dollars. It was the best one-hundred and forty dollars I ever spent. Hope I helped. Rain.:)

Source(s): Over 20 years experience training and retraining dogs, bred rottweilers, ran a rescue for rottweilers, and donate any spare time to shelters assessing dogs and working with issues.

Where I live it's $20.

They are around $150 here, and the SPCA is around $250 unless they have too many dogs then they bring adoption fees down.

• Bonnie

where I live it's $100