Married women: Does your choice of husband remind you of your father figure?

Favorite Answer

A little bit in that he seems rather oblivious sometimes and is not a good listener, but that's all men really.

Absolutely. My dad is from a small town (50ish people small), he's very hard working, hates just sitting around doing nothing, he's task oriented, mechanically inclined, loves the outdoors, non confrontational, etc. My husband is all of those things as well. Before I met my husband I dated a guy that was the complete opposite of my dad and it turned out horrible. We fought over the dumbest things, from what to do for fun to the kind of milk we each drink. I knew my husband was the one because he has a lot of the qualities that I like in my dad. He's definitely not exactly like him, but similar. This may seem stupid to some, but the little things mattered and made a huge difference in my marriage compared to my previous relationships. My husband and I both drink 2% milk, we like Mountain Dew and detest Pepsi, we're fans of action and suspense movies, and our taste in music is pretty much the same. Little things matter, as do the big things (finances, kids, etc). Who really wants to fight over what movie to watch or what to have for dinner? It gets old after a while. And the fights over little things can turn into big brawls after time.

• DJ

My husband has many of the same personality traits as my father. It's a good thing, too, because I dearly love my Dad and I have a great relationship with both of the men in my life.

• No not at all.

I have heard that women and men do pick partners that remind them of their parents in some way. But my husband is nothing like my dad.

I didn't really have a father figure, so I would say no ... as my husband is a part of my life and my father was not.

Oh god he seems more and more like my Dad every day. But all the qualities I like and admire in my Dad.

They have the same sense of humor and they have the same kind of work ethic. They also have the same kind of quick temper. I have a good relationship with my dad and I look up to him.

Looks wise? no The way he treats women? yes. My bio dad died young and my step dad has always been good to my mom and us 3 girls. I have a son from a prior marriage and he has 2 daughters and treats us all with love and respect.

• 111

dear god NO. my father was lazy no good party party useless man who dumped my mother cos he liked to party and drink and chase other women. my husband has an excellent career, parties only with me and never chases other women. and he is absolutely not lazy - very hard working. also he looks much better and takes good care of himself

Yes my husband kind of does. Not like in a disgusting way though.

Yes - my husband and father are both hardworking, smart, caring and handsome.